Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Chevrolet stands behind Volt with standard Eight-Year, 100,000-Mile Battery Warranty

Corvette
2012 💯 4LT GS Roadster
Brownstown Township, Mich. – The Chevrolet Volt electric vehicle with extended range will provide customers with an unprecedented, standard, eight-year/100,000-mile warranty on its advanced, lithium-ion battery. It is the automotive industry’s longest, most comprehensive battery warranty for an electric vehicle, and is transferable at no cost to other vehicle owners.

“The Chevrolet Volt’s batteries have exceeded our performance targets and are ready to hit the road,” said Micky Bly, GM executive director, global electrical systems. “Our customers are making a commitment to technology that will help reduce our dependence on petroleum. In turn, we are making a commitment to our customers to deliver the highest standards for value, safety, quality, performance and reliability for an unprecedented eight years/100,000 miles.”

The Volt’s comprehensive battery warranty covers all 161 battery components, 95 percent of which are designed and engineered by GM, in addition to the thermal management system, charging system and electric drive components.

The Volt is the only electric vehicle that can operate under a full range of climates and driving conditions without limitations or concern about being stranded by a depleted battery. It has a range of about 340 miles and is powered with electricity at all times. For up to the first 40 miles, the Volt is powered solely by electricity stored in its 16-kWh lithium-ion battery, using no fuel and producing no emissions. When the Volt’s lithium-ion battery runs low, an engine/generator seamlessly operates to extend the driving range another 300 miles on a full tank of fuel. (see Volt Freedom Drive)

The Volt’s advanced, lithium-ion battery is designed to deliver the value, safety, quality, performance, durability and reliability Chevrolet customers expect.

GM Media

This SHOULD quiet some of the naysayers - but it won't.

So at 8 years and 1 day when the batteries crap out and you find out how much replacements cost, may as well drive it (on gas) to the junkyard. The car will have no resale value.

Is this warranty prorated like on a tire? At four years you get a 50% discount on list price? They conveniently don't mention.

I like this statement: "For up to the first 40 miles, the Volt is powered solely by electricity stored in its 16-kWh lithium-ion battery, using no fuel and producing no emissions.'

How was the electricity produced to charge the battery? Coal?

I'd like to see some cold weather night time tests where the frozen batteries have to produce cabin heat, lights, r/w defrost and wipers too.

This is no more of a solution than ethanol fuel.

GM hasn't been all that great on my 08 .

I'm sticking with my prediction that the Volt will be a bust and I'm sorry if I'm right.

misleading??

:wI am glad to see a good warranty .....but not unprecedented.

The car may be good but way over priced and not too competitive. Without the govt rebates it is not even close to the competition especially the Prius.:L

The Prius is about 1/3 less cost and is more "experienced".
The Prius warranty is:
60/60 on the drive train, and :

<TABLE id=content-table border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class="table-column-bold content-table-td2" vAlign=top>Hybrid-Related Component Coverage</TD><TD class=content-table-td2>Hybrid-related components for hybrid vehicles are covered for 8 years/100,000 miles. The HV battery may have longer coverage under emissions warranty. Refer to applicable Owner's Warranty Information booklet for details.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I rest my case.:L

Seriously? GM is spending money on and add comparing their great electric vehicle warranty against an i pad, a laptop computer, and a cell phone? Am I missing something here?

How about comparing it to the Hondas' and Toyota's that are already on the market.

Seriously? GM is spending money on and add comparing their great electric vehicle warranty against an i pad, a laptop computer, and a cell phone? Am I missing something here?

How about comparing it to the Hondas' and Toyota's that are already on the market.

:wIt seems logical!!
My cell phone only gets 28.6mpg.:chuckle

I rest my case.:L

Can you point me (us) to some credible analysis of the car that would dispel the negativity of the naysayers?

I'd truly like 'to believe' and live in an area where 100% of my electricity is generated by hydro, but would need to depend on the car in -30* weather and accompanying snow.

Positive!!

:wI have no problem with the design, and I have faith in the engineering and testing.

The Volt is not merely a plug in charge, electric like the Nissan Leaf (all electric), but an electric with a gasoline powered battery charger on board. It can also be recharged via AC.
It would be like carrying one of those Honda generators in the trunk ready to charge a weak battery (but done automatically).
that's why it gets ~40 miles on electric and ~300 miles on a tank of gas.
I think that in cold weather the battery may not be too happy but the "charger" will keep you going.

The Prius et al use a battery,electric motor, and gas motor all together for propulsion. When you need power they all kick in.

My issue has always been style/price. It started as a concept/show car and wound up as a malibu with batteries.
Then it went from ~ $30000 to $40000++.
Then there will be a substantial govt rebate ($10000+???).
All this in competition with established Prius,Camry, Escape, and honda cars.

Great car ..... too expensive!!:beer

I hope it's a good car!!

:wLooks like the rebate may not be as good as I thought!!

It is a credit on your income tax. If you dont owe Uncle sam enough you get nixed the difference.
Also you have to file your taxes which means it will be considerable delay and IMHO you have to pay sales tax on the rebate also.
Go figure??:W

More details:
Chevrolet Volt Tax Incentives and Rebates | MyChevroletVolt.com

It would be like carrying one of those Honda generators in the trunk ready to charge a weak battery (but done automatically).
that's why it gets ~40 miles on electric and ~300 miles on a tank of gas.

I'm aware of that . So running a gasoline powered generator to charge a battery to run an electric motor saves the planet how? It's just a convoluted and inefficient way of getting power to the wheels

Not my job - believe what you will.

I do. Why throw stones at those who 'don't believe' if you've got no counterpoint? :confused

Whats the difference - you buy a $40,000 gasoline powered car today and in 10 years its worth about 10% of what you paid for it. People will buy the electric car because in 8 to 10 years time they will want something else anyway. I bet you will still get 10% of the value.

GM is not new to this game, they pioneered the electric car, just never brought it to market. They will make a killing once this hits the showroom floor.

Whats the difference - you buy a $40,000 gasoline powered car today and in 10 years its worth about 10% of what you paid for it. People will buy the electric car because in 8 to 10 years time they will want something else anyway. I bet you will still get 10% of the value.

:wYou are correct in the case of the gasoline powered car, however with the electrics you are really getting a $20000 car for $40000.
Then add to that the depreciation etc.

In other words for $40k you can get a REALLY nice ($45000) gas car, while for the same $40k you get a quirky econobox.
But it will save the polar bears!:chuckle

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom