Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Chokes out after parking for a little while

Deatonj

Corvette
1981 red
My 1981 (bought last week at auction)starts missing, acts as if it’s getting no gas,and then dies after being parked for 10 - 15 minutes. It seems as if I can drive long distance with no problem as long as I don’t stop for any length of time.
I haven’t tried it any sooner but after a day of sitting it drives fine again. Also the “Choke” light comes on when trying to start it after it’s died. I’ve replaced the fuel filter and that about all I know and know how to do. My knowledge is limited.
Any suggestions?

Last edited:
My 1981 (bought last week at auction)starts missing, acts as if it’s getting no gas,and then dies after being parked for 10 - 15 minutes. It seems as if I can drive long distance with no problem as long as I don’t stop for any length of time.
I haven’t tried it any sooner but after a day of sitting it drives fine again. Also the “Choke” light comes on when trying to start it after it’s died. I’ve replaced the fuel filter and that about all I know and know how to do. My knowledge is limited.
Any suggestions?

The first thought that comes to mind is vapor lock. You might try to insulate the engine compartment fuel line. I'm sure others will chime in with different ideas.
As far as the choke light, no clue except that the engine is warm but the choke thinks it's needed to facilitate startup?

1st Welcome to CAC!!!

sounds like the choke or carb needs to be adjusted or rebuilt.....
have you done anything else since you purchased it...eg tune up ect???

Again my knowledge is very limited. A friend said the carburetor has been rebuilt recently. Today car sat at idle for about 20-30 minutes and then cut out and died. Would not restart. After waiting about 2 hours it would start and run fine again.
I saw a thread earlier about a "suspected vapor locked finally solved". Sounded very similar to my issue. They found that fuel pump was not putting out sufficient pressure ( I think that was the end result) at different times. Does that sound like a possibility?
I really appreciate the responses but am not familiar enough with the mechanics of this forum to be able to say thanks and respond. But THANK YOU for any input

Again my knowledge is very limited. A friend said the carburetor has been rebuilt recently. Today car sat at idle for about 20-30 minutes and then cut out and died. Would not restart. After waiting about 2 hours it would start and run fine again.
I saw a thread earlier about a "suspected vapor locked finally solved". Sounded very similar to my issue. They found that fuel pump was not putting out sufficient pressure ( I think that was the end result) at different times. Does that sound like a possibility?
I really appreciate the responses but am not familiar enough with the mechanics of this forum to be able to say thanks and respond. But THANK YOU for any input

I can't help but wondering why you would leave the car just sit and idle for 20-30 minutes. Engine compartment heat with the car sitting still will surely build up. Have you tried it with the hood both open and closed to see if it makes any difference? Personally, I wouldn't let it sit just idling for that long anyway.
Like I said earlier, vapor lock sounds like a likely culprit. The vapor lock thread you mentioned makes more sense in a newer car ('82+) with fuel injection and thus having an electric fuel pump located in the tank which pushes fuel. A weak pump not having adequate outlet pressure could lead to vaporization of gas in the fuel line.
Your '81 should have a carb and thus a mechanical engine driven pump so that the suction side (low pressure side) of the pump is located in the engine compartment and subject to engine compartment heat.
I think it is worth trying to insulate that part of the fuel line which is on the suction side of the pump so see if that helps or even solves the problem. The suction side is that part of the gas line that feeds the fuel pump, not that portion of the line which goes to the carb.

I can't help but wondering why you would leave the car just sit and idle for 20-30 minutes. Engine compartment heat with the car sitting still will surely build up. Have you tried it with the hood both open and closed to see if it makes any difference? Personally, I wouldn't let it sit just idling for that long anyway.
Like I said earlier, vapor lock sounds like a likely culprit. The vapor lock thread you mentioned makes more sense in a newer car ('82+) with fuel injection and thus having an electric fuel pump located in the tank which pushes fuel. A weak pump not having adequate outlet pressure could lead to vaporization of gas in the fuel line.
Your '81 should have a carb and thus a mechanical engine driven pump so that the suction side (low pressure side) of the pump is located in the engine compartment and subject to engine compartment heat.
I think it is worth trying to insulate that part of the fuel line which is on the suction side of the pump so see if that helps or even solves the problem. The suction side is that part of the gas line that feeds the fuel pump, not that portion of the line which goes to the carb.

I was installing a wheel wrap to the steering wheel and had the heater running (thankfully that’s one thing that does work on the car). I hadn’t thought about too much heat in the engine compartment. But, thanks for the tip. I will open the hood in the future with summer coming. Thank you also for the suggestion of insulating the fuel line. I won’t be doing the work myself but was hoping to have some knowledgeable opinions to suggest to the mechanic who will be doing it.
It died again the other night after stopping for gas. Drove around town for 20 minutes, got gas then about a mile later it seemed as if no gas was getting to the engine. Waited about two hours and it started again and drove it home.
Thanks again for taking the time to respond. It is really appreciated.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom