Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Chris (69myway) where did you get the hoist?

S

sscam69

Hey Chris

I was checking your webpage awhile back and I saw a pic of your 69 vette with the hood popped open and above the car there was what seemed like a hook hanging from the ceiling.

What is it and how is it setup? Any pics?

I also remember a engine hoist using I beams from the pics in your youger days. I am thinking of building something like that, but that can also be transportable.

The reason I ask is next June I will probably be buying a house, and guess which room a am paying the most attention to. :_rock THE GARAGE!!:_rock

I am going to do a body off resto and needless to say its going to be a new town and I am going to be a loner so If I can use it to make some of the work easier it would be great.

Thanks

Frank

Frank,

When I built my work shop, I added significant bracing to the ceiling in that spot. I ended up putting a 4"x4"x12' beam in the cradle of the rafters with a strap of angle iron on each corner. I then wrapped a chain around that and suspended the hook from the chain out of a hole in the ceiling drywall.

The original need for this was to hoist Fiero bodies in the air to yank out the drive train from the bottom.

However, we ended up using it for the 69 because the nose is too long for my regular cherry picker to have dropped the engine in that way. Instead, we hung the motor and trans from the hook on a come-a-long style winch, then slowly rolled the car under the engine while I lowered it into place. At the last second, Nikki climbed under and eased the tail shaft of the trans over the cross member.

Hope that helps!

BTW, when you are doing your garage, don't forget to add a sink (hot and cold water), wall mount/window mount a/c, plenty of power outlets for a welder, air compressor, cable t/v lines, and phone/internet lines.

If at all possible (especially if you laundry is close to the garage, or at least you main sewer line, don't forget to put a toilet out there.

BTW, when you are doing your garage, don't forget to add a sink (hot and cold water), wall mount/window mount a/c, plenty of power outlets for a welder, air compressor, cable t/v lines, and phone/internet lines.

Thanks for the tips!!:L

So you actually tore a hole in the roof of the garage?

sscam69 said:

Thanks for the tips!!:L

So you actually tore a hole in the roof of the garage?

No, in the ceiling, or not really, as I did all this while building the garage, but I punched a small hole in the ceiling for the chain and hook to drop down through.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom