Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Chrome Advice Needed

NC2Stay

Corvette
1995 Coupe, Torch Red, 6-speed, chrome sawblades
My '95 (bought 1.5 years ago) came with nice chrome sawblades. I liked 'em a lot, but my wife liked 'em even more - helped make the buy!

But, they have started to get "rough". You know what that means! I guess having that type of wheel at a NC coast island home and exposed to the salt air isn't the best idea. So...

a) Is there anything I can do to save them?

b) How much time is left on them?

c) Is re-chroming a cost-effective alternative?

d) If I get different wheels, what should I get that would be more salt air resistant?

e) Is there any market at all for the old ones in their current state?

In other words, I think I am up the creek and need some advice :mad

Thanks, Bob

NC2Stay said:
My '95 (bought 1.5 years ago) came with nice chrome sawblades. I liked 'em a lot, but my wife liked 'em even more - helped make the buy!

But, they have started to get "rough". You know what that means! I guess having that type of wheel at a NC coast island home and exposed to the salt air isn't the best idea. So...

a) Is there anything I can do to save them?

b) How much time is left on them?

c) Is re-chroming a cost-effective alternative?

d) If I get different wheels, what should I get that would be more salt air resistant?

e) Is there any market at all for the old ones in their current state?

In other words, I think I am up the creek and need some advice :mad

Thanks, Bob

chrome is a different beast to handle than other metals... just ask a harley guy:)

after they start to pit, it is all down hill... you can pro-long it by keeping them clean, and using a good chrome cleaner on them. everyone has their own favorite, it is up to you what to pick.

You can have them re-chromed, but that tends to be costly. It is honestly probably cheaper to buy new aftermarket ZR1 style wheels from AFS and save your sawblades for the future -- either resale or returning it to 'original' one day.

Another option is to go the polishing route... polishing doesn't have the depth that triple chrome has. it is shiny, but has a different look all together. polishing is good on one hand because you can bring the shine back after they start to 'dull'. on the other, maintenance overall is actually higher... and if you maintain chrome the same amount that is necessary to maintain polished, you would have no problems with the chrome.

hope all that helps...

Vettelt193 said:
...if you maintain chrome the same amount that is necessary to maintain polished, you would have no problems with the chrome...

Are you saying that this could have been prevented? I have to confess that I didn't do much more than keep 'em clean and Zaino'ed once. My fault if so, but I really blame the climate some - everything here rusts.

Bob

ttt - no other opinions?

Thanks, Bob

NC2Stay said:
ttt - no other opinions?

Thanks, Bob

You want more replies? OK, here is another even though it does not address your original concern.
You are worried about what the climate and salt air is doing to the wheels because that damage is highly visible. I would also wonder what damage is being done to A arms and suspension , drive and half shafts, and other unseen parts.
Just wanted to give you more to think (worry) about. Your car sits under the house but still outside and not in a garage. Even if you have a car cover, unless it goes all the way to the ground and is somehow sealed at the bottom, it does not protect engine bay and undercarriage components from that kind of environment.

Well, not too bad actually. I have examined underneath many times, and it looks OK. Of course, you are probably right in the long run, but my only option is not to have the car at all!

I think the wheels and chroming job may not have been that good. You hear about bad chrome jobs all the time. The suspension was built to withstand weather - the chrome job perhaps not.

Thanks, Bob

NC2Stay said:
Are you saying that this could have been prevented? I have to confess that I didn't do much more than keep 'em clean and Zaino'ed once. My fault if so, but I really blame the climate some - everything here rusts.

Bob

I doubt very much that you could prevent it. Chrome and aluminum do not get along. There is a reason why every wheel maker will only warranty chromed aluminum wheels for a year. Ask a chrome shop how long they will guarantee their work if you have them rechromed. Bet they won't guarantee more than a year. We see this all the time w/ factory wheels. Mercedes and Lexus are the worst. Eventually the beads of the tires will not seal and they will leak.

Thanks. So what would be your suggestion for the type of wheel that would do best in this environment?

Bob

the least maintenance would be a painted or machine finish, if you like shiny, and I like shiny would a polished finish. It'll require some maintenance, but if you're doing zaino, then I assume doing maintenance is not an issue for you.

Jay

NC2Stay said:
Well, not too bad actually. I have examined underneath many times, and it looks OK. Of course, you are probably right in the long run, but my only option is not to have the car at all!

If that's your only option, I'll be a good sport and take her off you. I'll even fly to you and drive it back myself. :L:L:L

I was just at the 'Vettefest in Chicago yesterday and saw that there are quite a few people selling wheels for very good prices. Some people were selling C6 wheels for less than $500 for the set. Might be an option if you want something lower maintenance for now. But age and the environment do not bode well.

Gosh Edmond, thanks for the kind offer, but I must decline!

Yeah, prices seem to be coming down on wheels in general. I guess there is lots of competition and that drives the prices down.

I think my game plan is to wait until my current tires are old or tired, and then order a full tire and wheel set from tirerack, etc. Then perhaps try to sell or unload the chromes somehow - or not.

Thanks, Bob

I just finished doing the fall Zaino on two of my cars - lots of work, but I don't mind it. Wheel maintenance is not an issue - I just want to believe that my hard work is going to go into something that lasts.

Thanks, Bob

NC2Stay said:

Bob

Wax on chrome is a big no no. Chrome is a porous metal, and it needs to breathe... This could have actually caused the death of the wheels (wax can 'seal in' water in the pores of the metal, causing problems).

You should really check out a Harley dealer, they have chrome cleaners and special chrome waxes that are designed to work. Part of the reason why there is so much chrome on Harleys is the ease of cleaning... once you get the method down cleaning is really simple, and keeping chrome clean should yield a very long life for the chrome.

Vettelt193 said:
Wax on chrome is a big no no.
I agree. But the Zaino Z2Pro that I have been using says it's OK on chrome - it's not really a wax anyhow. I will check with Sal Z.

Vettelt193 said:
You should really check out a Harley dealer, they have chrome cleaners and special chrome waxes that are designed to work.
Now that is a good idea! We don't have a local Harley dealer here at the beach, but we do have a small local cycle dealer. I will stop by.

Thanks, Bob

NC2Stay said:
I agree. But the Zaino Z2Pro that I have been using says it's OK on chrome - it's not really a wax anyhow. I will check with Sal Z.

Thanks, Bob

That's good... I didn't know Zaino made a product that is ok for chrome. Any way you go about it, good luck:)

Bob,
If your wheels are badly pitted they are history. I just bought a set of GM replacement ZR1 wheels for my 87 vert. Price was good and I don't have to fool with the old rims (stockers).

Doc

They're not badly pitted yet, but inside the "grooves" of the sawblades they are starting to feel a bit rough. I did stop by the local cycle shop and picked up some cleaner/polish, but I don't think that will make any difference.

Thanks, Bob

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom