Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Chrome lug nuts??

kingman

Corvette
2002 Torch Red Coupe
Hi

I have the orig polished alum thin spokes on my o2 and would like to get chrome lug nut covers.

What do you suggest?

And what's the best way to take the orig ones off and putting the new ones on without scratching them?

Thanks

Alan

Search for Gorilla nuts (honest, I wouldn't make up a name like that :crazy ), or you can get covers from Eckler's.

Use a 6-sided socket to remove/install, and don't use an impact wrench (for the nuts, not the covers).

:beer

stainless

Mid-America just came out on line with stainless lug nuts, wouldn't this be better then the chrome plastic ones,

Also where can l pick up a soft socket to take off and put on the new lugs.

I believe it's 19mm?

Alan

I've never had a problem with the chrome plastic covers, on the C4 or the C5, and both sets were reinstalled numerous times. Not one has cracked, nor had peeling chrome, nor loosened. The secret is not to over-tighten. Use a deep well socket and turn it snug. They will split fairly easily. Think I bought both sets for under $20 shipped from a on-line vendor.

All in all, from past experience, I believe I had rather replace a couple of sets of plastic covers than to replace nuts with cracked chrome and rust. Also, the plastic jobs cover the locking nuts if you have them.

just my 1-1/2 cents worth. :L

Hi Kingman -

Nuts you can get anywhere - a forum vendor, GM , autozone......

I wrapped my 19mm mid-depth 6 point socket with black electrical tape (3m super 33) and that keeps me from bunging up the wheels.

Be careful and you won't have any problems.

best regards -

mqqn

Lug nut covers??

Every vendor sells them but mid america on line sells a set with one extra one in stainless.

What do you think of stainless??

Alan

Chrome lug nut cover !!!!!!!

I only want the chrome lug nut covers!

They are priced from $29 to $49 by different catalogs. Is there a difference or are they all the same? Chrome covered plastic!

i want to order them today or tomorrow!

Thanks

Alan

somebody/anybody ??

Hey

It's almost time to head for the surf!

Thanks

I only want the chrome lug nut covers!

They are priced from $29 to $49 by different catalogs. Is there a difference or are they all the same? Chrome covered plastic!

i want to order them today or tomorrow!

Thanks

Alan

Hi Alan -

I get it now (duh :duh )

You just want to buy chrome caps to replace the grey ones.

Sometime in March 2002 GM stopped putting on the lugs with the removable beauty covers and started installing chrome plated lugnuts.

I prefer the chrome ones over the two piece ones, but I understand your need now.

I would watch the parts forums on all the vette fourms and perhaps post a WTB post in each one.

They crop up from time to time.

also - you can get chrome paint at Wal-Mart now - not sure how good it is, but for 7 bucks might be worth a shot -

best regards -

mqqn

Chrome lug nut covers

Hi

The problem with replacing the one piece lug nuts is that the orig lug nuts were probably put on by a power tool and l would wind up kelling myself replacing them. I thought it would be easier just to replace the lug nut covers. HAHAHA

I do the same myself, l see what l think l see.

Alan

Full lug nut question.

Hi

If l buy a full set of lug nuts instead of the lug nut caps, how easy or hard is it to change them. I thought l read something about having to put on using a certain amount of lbs pressure. I don't have this tool and will have to buy something to take off the old ones and to replace the new ones.

Or is this something that l should have done when my dealer changes my oil?

I have not changed a tire in 20 yrs!

Alan

If l buy a full set of lug nuts instead of the lug nut caps, how easy or hard is it to change them. I thought l read something about having to put on using a certain amount of lbs pressure. I don't have this tool and will have to buy something to take off the old ones and to replace the new ones.
The torque spec is 100 lb-ft. It doesn't matter whether you use open-ended nuts with caps, or chrome acorns... the spec is the same. You can get a reasonably priced 3/4" drive torque wrench at Harbor Freight that will be fine for this task.

GL! :beer

Hi Alan -

Like Mr. Lucky said - you can get a torque wrench at Harbor Frieght for $20 or less (Tire rack has them too).

The torque value is 100 foot pounds - but it is best to step them down.

I usually tighten them to 50, then 75, then 100 in a "star" pattern (i.e. tighten one then tighten the one on the opposite side of the pattern etc.)

The idea is to tighten them down evenly and uniformly.

But - if it is just chrome caps you want -

http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant....e=GN1014&Category_Code=VTWHEELS&AFFIL=froogle

best regards -

mqqn

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom