Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

chrome mirrors don't stay in place.

dga76

Corvette
1976 Stingray
Hi I have a 1976 Stingray which has chrome mirrors that will not stay in place (gravity takes over) does anyone know any tricks to tightened them up or is the fix just buy new ones? Thanks

Welcome to CAC!!!
enjoy!!!

I'm going to move this to the C3 section

Does the entire mirror head move on the doors or just the glass???

Welcome to Corvette Action Center

Hi I have a 1976 Stingray which has chrome mirrors that will not stay in place (gravity takes over) does anyone know any tricks to tightened them up or is the fix just buy new ones? Thanks

Not sure how to tighten up your mirrors without looking at them! But did want to welcome :happyanim: you to the group, maybe someone will chime in and help you but afraid it may be one of those things you have to look at them in person before really knowing.

Good luck and stay in touch.

-Bill

IIRC, you would have to remove the mirror glass and then figure out how to increase the tension (maybe by bending or finding new spring stock) on the flat, metal spring that's pressing against the ball that's connected to the mirror head. I think the spring is held by swaging the tubes which means you would have to remove the swage and then drill/tap a hole to re-attach the spring. Finally find and replace the mirror glass. Might be a lot easier to replace w/ new ones. Be aware if you replace that there are two sizes.

Mirrors move

Thanks Bill and Shark, the whole thing moves so I think Shark hit the nail on the head, I'll just replace them and thanks for stating there are two sizes. New to this forum but I do believe I am here to stay! Have a great day everyone!!!

Another point is that the ball is not located in the vertical center of the mirror. So when you have it installed, rotate it so that the larger portion of the mirror is on top. That will actually enable you to see something besides just the rear fender hump. ;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom