Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Classic Plates

H

Hijinx

Just found a set of classic plates for my '73. Not vanity plates like I had hoped for, but ran across a relatively cool set of new standard 1973 plates;

"TNT-573"

Of course, I will have to get the new stroker built and in her to back up the "TNT" portion. Kinda cool though.

Ok we need a little more information here Mr. "TNT-573"

Where did you find these jewels? Can they be used again? You have to be one of the luckest people.. a 1973 and NOS 1973 "TNT-573" plates.. :cool

BudD
:w

Tom...

What's the difference between classic and antique? In Texas, doesn't one of those registrations exempt you from inspection? I think it's classic, but not sure.

Bill

The difference between Classic and Antique is basically the amount you drive the vehicle each year. To register it as an Antique it must be 25 years old or older and be driven less than 3000 miles per year, if memory serves.

I got the plates from a guy here in Texas that has plates from 1951 to 1975. I believe he only does Texas plates, though. Basically, you can get either used or new plates from him. My set cost $55. Vanity plates are, I think $70-$90 and dealer plates are $60. I have them on my '72 pickup as well.

Once purchased you just register them as Classic plates and the state sends you a small year specific classic sticker that replaces the normal state sticker.

Re: Tom...

72 Bluz said:
What's the difference between classic and antique? In Texas, doesn't one of those registrations exempt you from inspection? I think it's classic, but not sure.

Bill
Antique has restricted use, no inspections, and are $50 for 5 years ($10/year avg). Classic still has safety inspection, full reg fee, but no restrictions on use. Only thing I can see good about classic reg is that they do allow for the use of year of manfg plates. Everything else is the same as normal reg.

tom...

Four years ago, I bought 1960 plates from an antique dealer in Chicago. The MI Secretary of State did a back ground check on'em to make sure they weren't being used on another car and when they came back clear, issued them to my car as "original plates." I think it cost me about 30 bucks. But..The registration says DOES NOT EXPIRE. Lady said no renewal as long as I own it. Life is good.:beer

60w427
I also registered an '64 MI. plate on my '64. at a one time cost. It was explained to me that the antique registration was only good for parades and car shows. However the manager there told me that I would not have a problem. nobody enforces that law. The only way I could "legally" use the old plate would be to register it as a Personal(custom) plate at a higher cost per year. and they could not do that , because the # on the plate was already in use.. But they could register it as an "antique" (even thou it's registered to a truck in MI.? weird.) Anyway
I've been pulled over by the law and never had a problem.
Of coarse there's always"a car show somewhere";) in the summer.
rod

YOOPEROD

Yeah, the lady at the Sec. of State told me I could go with antique plates (parades & Holidays) or register these as originals. She said they were like regular plates only they match the year of the car and don't expire. No ones ever said anything to the contrary to me yet. The boyscouts in my town look for any excuse to pull you over for revenue inhancement. Tried to give me a ticket for not having back-up lights once.:eyerole

Been I while since I checked. Here in SC the State'll issue antique plates for vehicles 30 or older if requested. Use is only for parades, going to-fro shows/club functions (the club function can be a huge loophole!) and they're good for life. Antiques also exempt from further property tax. Have em on my 54 Harley stroker ... but haven't ridden it in years so I dunno how the rules are applied today. I don't receive tax or tag renewal notices though. Here in SC we have absolutely NO vehicle inspections period ... not even for tires! Cops'll ticket ya for baldies or burnt lights just the same though. Have never heard of even random tailpipe sniffers here.
JACK:gap

In the state of Ohio they have collectors plate, Corvette is automatic collector,any year any other car you have to prove why it is a collector. This exemt you from inspection

the "TNT-573" is pretty neat.

[email]paul.fithen@fuse.net[/email] said:
In the state of Ohio they have collectors plate, Corvette is automatic collector,any year any other car you have to prove why it is a collector. This exemt you from inspection
:cool ,I can't wait to tell my mustang buddy.:L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom