Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Clean plenum

BGJ

Proud to Support the Corvette Action Center!
Corvette
1994 Red Coupe
I have a 1985 coupe. The plenum looks dirty and kind of old looking. What do you use to clean it or make it look new?

I really don't want to use paint because I don't think that would last. Has anyone ever used one of those scunci (sp?) steam cleaners on the engine compartment?
Thanks, bgj

Are you going to take it off and clean it or just clean the outside of it?

BGJ said:
I was just going to clean the outside

Simple Green will work on it. I don't imagine that it's dirty enough to have the need for something like brake cleaner. You have to be careful using brake cleaner.

Edmond said:
Simple Green will work on it. I don't imagine that it's dirty enough to have the need for something like brake cleaner. You have to be careful using brake cleaner.
Won't simple green damage fiberglass springs?

BGJ said:
Won't simple green damage fiberglass springs?

Fiberglass springs? The plenum is the piece behind the throttle body and the piece that the runners attach to that lead to the intake manifold. There is no fiberglass on the plenum.

I used the "Eagle One Etching mag wheel cleaner" It looks fantastic now, I did it while I had the intake apart. I also did the runners and intake.

I let it sit till it kind of bubbles a bit then scrubbed it and rinsed it off.

Mart

Edmond said:
Fiberglass springs? The plenum is the piece behind the throttle body and the piece that the runners attach to that lead to the intake manifold. There is no fiberglass on the plenum.
What I was reffering to was, if you use Simple Green, and it runs down the engine block.... isn't the front spring fiberglass? I thought Simple Green had an acid in it that would weaken the fiberglass if too much were used.

Simple Green is the way to go, or you can also use Orange Blast, but use it sparingly. I dilute it 4 or 5 parts to one and spray it on and use the wife's tooth brush. (That way, when I'm done, I go and buy her a new one and she's happy and I got the engine compartment cleaned.)

I also use a spray bottle and use plenty of rags to rinse and dry things off under the hood. I do try to keep water away from the distributor.

I've not had any personal experience with the Optispark, BUT, there are a number of threads here which indicate that you really have to be careful with water and that system.

I have an 85 coupe,too. The whole engine compartment looked old...I bought some of the Castrol super clean and spayed it down before power washing it. Didn't do much good. Say shouldn't you be more concerned with the inside being clean than the outside? I didn't remove mine...simply sprayed some valvoline carburetor/injector cleaner through the butterfly and wiped it down. It's questionalble if this helped the idle or not...seemed to help some. Good luck with the car.

Rufus

taegdh said:
I've not had any personal experience with the Optispark, BUT, there are a number of threads here which indicate that you really have to be careful with water and that system.
Shouldn't be an issue for him since Opti's made their debut in 92'.:upthumbs

I have an '85 and took the plenum off a few months ago because of an irratic idle problem. It's easy to get off and I soaked it in a large pan filled with gas (sitting outside of course) I used a bristle brush through the ports to get all the carbon from the inside and then payed particular attention to the butterflys. Without taking them out, I cleaned the edges and the raised carbon areas where the butterfly edges contact when closed.

Before cleaning, when closed, there was a clear gap around the butterflys and after, very little. I got a new IAC valve while I was at it. Much better when it all went back on.

My thanks to all of you who have taken the time to reply. The members at this site are so helpful!

I hope to get at this project on the upcoming weekend. bgj

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom