Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cleaning a mass air flow sensor

cscarlson

Corvette
2003 50Th Corvette
How do you clean a mass air flow sensor on a C5 Corvette?

Mass air cleaning

How do you clean a mass air flow sensor on a C5 Corvette?

Go to your nearest auto parts store, like Advance Auto and buy a can of CRC brand "Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner" and follow the directions on the can, it's easy to do.

Do not use Throttle Body or Air-Intake Cleaners, I have read they are very different chemicals and can gum up the MA Sensor.

Keep em' rollin' :W

Bill :w

I think my sensor needs to be cleaned. That may clear up the code I keep getting

I think my sensor needs to be cleaned. That may clear up the code I keep getting

Do you have a K & N filter in your car? If so, sometimes the oil used on the filter will coat the sensor and create false readings buy the computer. When cleaning that kind of filter go easy on the oil applied just a very light coating will do.

Bill

I didnt notice... when the maf is installed does the sensors in the unit go across or go down

maf1.jpg

maf2.jpg

It doesn't make any diffence. I think the plug connector is sort of on the drivers side of the MAF when in the proper position. It is on my '98...I just looked in my garage. More importantly, be absolutely sure you have the MAF faced the correct direction. Look closely, there should be an "arrow" on the housing that must be pointed toward the throttle body for the MAF to read the air flow correctly.

You may or may not notice much difference after cleaning it unless your MAF was very dirty or oily like has been already mention in this thread.

Good luck:thumb

I didnt notice... when the maf is installed does the sensors in the unit go across or go down

maf1.jpg

maf2.jpg

everything back in i still get the code

Don't think I read what code you're getting, but the problem may something besides a dirty MAF sensor. I once had a MAF related code, and found a vacuum leak causing the dtc. Fixed that and no more codes or performance issues. Make sure the air intake system from the filter housing up to the manifold has no loose clamps or open hoses etc. Look over the pvc hoses around the heads under the fuel rail covers etc. for any loose clamps or hoses.

I keep getting...Code 10PCM PO174 HC ...checked all the hoses..could it be an o2 sensor?

I keep getting...Code 10PCM PO174 HC ...checked all the hoses..could it be an o2 sensor?

Yeah, you have a Fuel Trim lean bank 2 condition....could be an O2 sensor.
Get out your GM Service manual and start studying the situation, or take it to a vette mechanic for diagnosis. I doubt we can help you much more here, but someone may chime in that's an expert!

I'm also a member of www.corvettemechanic.com another good site for solving problems run by GM trained techs.

Will this code cause me to fail an emission test?

was told today the code i am getting is because i need a new fuel pump? comments

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom