Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Clear Coat Scratches and Scuffs

spiral gray

Corvette
2004 Spiral Gray Metallic
An 18 wheeler loaded with wood chips spit a wood chip at my 04 Spiral Gray Coupe. The wood chip hit my hood just above the emblem leaving behind a couple of scratches and 2 - 1/4 X 1/4 inch scuffs on my clear coat. What suggestions are out there to remove the scratches and scuffs? Thanks,

Spiral Gray

Also wondering the same thing. In remodeling my downstairs, my Vette (sitting out in the garage) got covered in dry wall dust, which my 2 year old nephew decided to "draw" in with his finger. No big deal, he's just a kid that didn't know any better, but it did leave some small scratches that I don't think wax will take care of. What's the best cure?

detail info

guys, you can got to this site for the best help. autopia.org . its a great site for this stuff!!! i'm addicted to it.

j. jam

For the small scratches, such as cerberus's 2 year olds drawing, you can try a 3M product called Finnese-It. I've used it on my Vette and had great results. For those bigger, maybe more stubborn scratches, try some 2000 grit wet/dry sand paper, have a bucket of water near by also, and then Finnese-It. DO NOT put a lot of pressure on the sandpaper. Just enough to keep it on the car.

Good luck, let us know what you finally decide to do.

Wet sanding is getting a little ahead of yourself. That's like shooting a duck with a bazooka. First try a hand or a machine compound, then glaze, then wax. Finesse is a glaze/polish, it temporarily fills scratches until the sun or elements bake it off. To minimize this you should put a heavy paste wax over the finesse product. Wet sanding is a last resort and if you did it right, you would then machine compound, glaze, then wax. You can't just wet sand then finesse it. The paint won't even look good for two days. I used to own a detail shop. Definately go to a detailing website, you can learn alot very quickly. Good luck.

Your correct Pac-Man in your post.

I should have stated as a last resort, to wet sand.

Thanks for the correction.

Chris

I have had some good results with Meguiars "Scratch-X", not perfect, but
an improvement........

I use Meguiars Clear Coat Scrub With a foam wheel or hand and then wax!!:upthumbs junk!! ps It will clean up Bird sh*t stains too!!

If you can feel them with your fingernail, you will not be able to rub them out. Otherwise, try Meguires cleaner wax.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom