Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Clunk! Clunk!

milehigreg

Corvette
1989 Dark Red Coupe
What started out as feeling a pulsing of the brake peddle as I came to a complete stop is now a definite clunk, clunk, clunk. So I don't think it is a rotor runout issue any more. Wheel bearing? U joint? Put it up on stands and push/pull on the wheel? Look around under the back? ;help Thoughts? 89 auto coupe

What started out as feeling a pulsing of the brake peddle as I came to a complete stop is now a definite clunk, clunk, clunk. So I don't think it is a rotor runout issue any more. Wheel bearing? U joint? Put it up on stands and push/pull on the wheel? Look around under the back? ;help Thoughts? 89 auto coupe

Could be a cracked rotor...or any of the above that you listed.

Where 'bouts in Denver are you?

Bill

Could be a cracked rotor...or any of the above that you listed.

Where 'bouts in Denver are you?

Bill
Yep,it requires more investigation!!!:upthumbsBut as a Educated guess,Probly the wheel bearing!! But then again,I've replaced 3 C4 rear bearings in the last week and I'm seeing them in my sleep!!!!:boogie:boogie:boogie

Check the lug nuts first. A loose wheel ac cause that noise.

I would not think it is a wheel bearing because you only feel it during braking. A bad bearing would act up other times. Loose lug nuts may allow the rotor to shift, etc. I would jack that car up, pull each wheel and look for something amiss.

Radar :beer

If you haven't isolated the issue yet, my bet would be a bad U-joint(s). Have they ever been changed??? Jack the car up and get under it...you can handle and/or look at them real good and should be able to determine if they are your problem. Good luck!

Rufus

Can't Finish Unless You Start!

My biggest issue with any project is usually getting started! I just need to get it up on jackstands and start. Of course I also need to change the fuel pump on my daughter's supercharged Tacoma. Or I could get going again on the irrigation system for the yard, or......... :D

No More Clunk

Feeling frisky after conquering the crank/fire/die condition, I got back to checking this problem out. Turns out it was worn out brake linings. Replaced this weekend and no more clunk! I did notice that the outboard pad had way more wear on both sides. The funny thing is the wear indicator is on the inboard pads.;shrug Have others noticed this obvious uneven wear of brakes?:confused Here's hoping the next "challenge" is a few thousand miles and several months away! Time for some fun! :lou:Steer

Yeah what can happen is the "floating" half of the caliper isn't free enough to slide on the pins like it should. When you replace the brake pads you need to clean those pins up REAL good and apply some brake caliper grease.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom