Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Clunk, Whew, Whew from rear

T

TALMADGE 1

I am getting Click sounds from my rear wheels when I start and stop. Every once in awhile when starting off I get this Whew Whew sound in the wheels, then it will stop. I replaced the Ujoints some 2 months ago. I guess that wasn't the problem. Have any of you had the same symtoms? I am guessing rear wheel bearings, but would like other opinions before I go and spend 140.00 for each side. The car has over 100,000 miles now.

I have them same click, click from the rear...thought it was the ujoints also but have had a couple of technicians tell me they're fine(90k miles)? I'm now surprised to hear that changing the ujoints didn't fix that sound for you!? The "whew, whew"sound I heard might be the ABS self check, maybe??
Terry

Have you looked at the brakes? Maybe a loose mounting bracket or caliper or someting else may be sticking and not releasing right away.

click at start off...

Had the same prob with my '96. One or both of the rear splines are probably dry. Wheel bearings going bad make that "whew" sound as well at low speeds, 0 - 10 mph. Heard that one too. I'd just go ahead and replace both the rear bearings. When you get it apart, thoroughly clean the splines and apply a thin uniform coat of anti-seize to them. Also apply anti-seize to the face of the brake caliper mounting bracket and rear knuckle. Anywhere two aluminum faces meet. A vette mechanic at a dealer told me about lubing the aluminum parts. I tried to get them to fix it...that's a long and sordid tale by itself...did the work myself.

I have heard of a guy that just anti-seized the splines, it didn't cure the click syndrome. I think he sold his car because of it.

I had a local vette shop replace both bearings under warranty at 25K miles on mine and address several other issues. (probably didn't need the bearings) 500 miles later both sides were clicking. I eventually replaced the right rear again myself due to the "whew" sound you describe. Now the left side needs it. I don't trust repair shops anymore, they always screw up more than they fix for me. That was the last time I've had a car in a shop for repair - Never again!!

Good luck

lone73

I have noticed on my vettes that you can sometimes hear a click when the half shaft spline moves inside the wheel hub. I don't think this is to be of great concern. The other noise that you mentioned sounds to me like your limited slip differential. If your rear end needs servicing, you can get a whurr sound or a popping sound from it when turning. It sometimes sounds like a loud groan. If this is your problem you need to change your fluid and put in fresh limited slip additive. This cured my 87. I also had some bad u joints that was causing some squeaking.

by the way, go for the rear diff service before you go for wheel bearings. Those things are expensive!!. If you have that much mileage, you are due for a rear diff service anyway. Those limited slip diffs do make a lot of noise sometimes when they need to be serviced and it is relatively cheap and easy.

TAL, Lift the rear wheel off the ground....( know what I mean without explaining?). Place one hand at the top of the tire (12 O'clock) and the other hand at the bottom off the tire... (6 O'clock). Now push the top, pull the bottom. Then pull the bottom and push the top. There should be no movement. If there is, kiss those "center hubs" goodbye. Replace them. Now go check the front for the same movement.
OK, you have the rear wheel off the ground. Lower it, break the lugs lose, lift it up again and remove the wheel. Check the pad wear? See if the steel backing (where the pads are bonded to) has too much float between the caliper? This clicking when starting and stopping my be a high spot on the disk, that causes the pad to dance against the caliper every time the wheel rotates a 360 degree turn? Once you start moving, the high spot moves the pad back in the caliper and the noise goes away. It comes back again when you step on the brakes and then leave from a stop?
Those are two variables to think about.

id have youre rear diff checked out. more than likely your spyder gears in your posi unit are chipping off(from old gear fluid and excessive use) and are coming in contact with your ring and pinion.

Problems solved, I changed both rear wheel bearings this weekend. Got them form Pep Boys, Lifetime Warrenty 139.00 each. I did notice that one of the ujoints I replaced 3 months ago was shot. Funny, I guess the old wheel bearing caused this, It was that side that made the worst noise. Thanks All this car sounds so quite and rides better also:J

Did you use the anti-seize? Hope your rear end doesn't end up creaking like an old sailing ship again...
Glad to hear its fixed and thanks for the follow up.
Nice lookin' car BTW...

:beer

lone73

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom