Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Clutch Going Out, Please help!

WantaVette

Corvette
Torch Red LT4 Coupe
Well, I'm gonna need a clutch real soon, anything more than 1/4 throttle under 3500 rpm and the engine just revs up without the car going anywhere. I'm trying to take it easy, but it is very difficult to drive on the highway when you basically have to downshift to third to be able to hit the gas even remotely hard. What are some good replacements clutches and flywheels. What are the prices and where are the best places to get them. I can do all the work myself so that $$ can be saved. Hopefully I can do this for under $1000.

WantaVette said:
Well, I'm gonna need a clutch real soon, anything more than 1/4 throttle under 3500 rpm and the engine just revs up without the car going anywhere. I'm trying to take it easy, but it is very difficult to drive on the highway when you basically have to downshift to third to be able to hit the gas even remotely hard. What are some good replacements clutches and flywheels. What are the prices and where are the best places to get them. I can do all the work myself so that $$ can be saved. Hopefully I can do this for under $1000.

Well, the guy who I bought my '89 from re-did the clutch, and recommended a place called "Clutch Express" at 1-800-258-8247. I think he also got a great deal on a new dual mass flywheel there as well.

/s/ Chris Kennedy
Houston, Texas

You might ask a local tranny shop for a referral to a machine shop that could inspect and resurface (if necessary) your flywheel. You might need a new pressure plate, too.

With all the Vettes in your area, a Corvette Club could be a great referral(s) source.

The dual mass flywheel can't be resurfaced at least thats what I've heard dozens of times. I can get a fidanza alum fw and stage 1 clutch kit shipped for $910 which is cheaper than the DM flywheel alone. Would this be a good setup. Again, I can do the work myself. Also, are there any other things that could be causing this i.e. master, slave cylinder. It'd be nice if it was something small like this, but neither are leaking fluid so I doubt it. I looked up under there when I replaced the o2 sensors yesterday.:cry

I really doubt that the hydraulic side is trapping pressure and not allowing clutch release. Maybe someone else thinks differently. Heck you could take the slave off and drive, as below!

Seems you could crack the bleeder screw to see if it squirts with no pedal pressure and/or drive the car w/o using the bled-down clutch, to see if the slippage recurs.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom