Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Clutch Grind?

meridian6

Corvette
1992 LT1 White Convertible America3
C4 LT1 6-Speed manual. Just started grinding noise when clutch pushed to floor. If you ease off, grinding noise goes away. Shifts in all gears fine, no slipping or hard shifting and no noise. Just the grind noise if clutch pushed to floor (of course this happens when not extremely careful).
Can I adjust clutch to solve this?? Thanks.

The clutch is a hydraulic unit and no adjustments are possible.

Does the noise occur only when in neutral and the car stopped? The ZF6 can be a bit noisy. I would suspect the throwout bearing.

c4cruiser said:
The clutch is a hydraulic unit and no adjustments are possible.

Does the noise occur only when in neutral and the car stopped? The ZF6 can be a bit noisy. I would suspect the throwout bearing.
Grind is metal to metal and only during the last 3/4 inch to the floor of clutch pedal travel. As soon as you ease back off - stops grinding. Shifts smoothly long before that last inch of clutch pedal travel, just cannot push it to floorboard without the grind which cannot be a good thing. No discernable bearing noise. Any other thoughts?

Did you find out what was causing your grinding noise?

My LT4 is doing the exact same thing. I have 63k on the car.

Thanks Jan

Stud ball

Jan2 said:
Did you find out what was causing your grinding noise?

My LT4 is doing the exact same thing. I have 63k on the car.

Thanks Jan

The Stud ball had back out of the clutch cover housing pushing the fork closer to the pressure plate. Eventually it gets close enough to drag on the top of the pressure plate. Unfortunately, the tranny has to come out to tread the ball stud back in place - at that point, you might as well do the works (plate/bearing/disc) Sorry - no easy fix. Good luck.

Clutch ball stud

There was a tread on this subject about one or two months ago. That fellow said that he was able to 'reseat' or screw in the fork ball stud without disassembly. I've never had a ZF6 clutch apart but other's I've worked on were simple to get at the ball stud without disassembly. Search for that thread and take a closer look at tightening the ball stud.
Hope this helps

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom