Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Clutch needs butter (linkage is toast. ???)

Schrade

Corvette
'90 LT 5
'R' was hard to get into, but 1-6 was no problem. Today, I couldn't get 'R', 1-6, c,d,e, ANYthing. Shut the motor off, and everything was hunky dory with the stick.

No puddles under the car.

Ideas? What to start on? Is the slave cylinder hard to get to?

'R' was hard to get into, but 1-6 was no problem. Today, I couldn't get 'R', 1-6, c,d,e, ANYthing. Shut the motor off, and everything was hunky dory with the stick.

No puddles under the car.

Ideas? What to start on? Is the slave cylinder hard to get to?
Hey Schrade,How the hell you doing? :w

I haven't worked on allot of ZR1's,But to my knowledge the hydraulic clutch set up is basically the same as any c4 ZF 6 sp set up!:thumb
The slave isn't that hard to get to,Pull the boot back and see if it's leaking!:thumb:thumb
If the master is leaking,sometimes fluid will run down under the carpet in the passenger compartment and you won't find it unless you look under the drivers side carpet!:thumb:thumb:thumb

If you don't find any signs of a leak,Try flushing and bleeding the system with fresh fluid,I've had that problem on cars that set around allot and it fixed it!:thumb
:thumb:thumb:thumb

Good to hear from you Bud!~!! :D

Last edited:
Another way to look for leaks is to check the master cyl reservoir fluid level.

Finally found the clutch master cyl., and it was empty.

Good news from gmjunkie, that the clutch bearing itself is not hydraulic, and the hydraulic linkage stops at the clutch fork [mechanical] linkage. So if there's a leak, it would be OUTside the bellhousing.

Filled the cylinder, and got pedal resistance (too easily built up ??? ). Now to find the bleed nipple on the slave, and see what else is in the twilight zone...

Still waiting for the FSM...

Finally found the clutch master cyl., and it was empty.

....snip....

Sorry, I should have said where it was. Glad you found the low level.
Leak is no doubt very slow and likely at the traditional location, the slave cyl.
Scott

Sorry, I should have said where it was. Glad you found the low level.
Leak is no doubt very slow and likely at the traditional location, the slave cyl.
Scott

Yeah - thanks there too Sir...

Didn't know that the 2 parts of the upper reservoir were BOTH for brakes (UPS brought a new printer / scanner, but NO FSM yet!!!).

I was disappointed to find BOTH full, hoping one was clutch.

And glad to find the REAL one, empty. Hopefully, it's not in the carpet :ugh

Have to do photo - thread for repair, for proven work history. Use to like that on the '94, but it ain't fun like it use to be...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom