Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Clutch type and size for the 68 ??

jims427400

Corvette
67 427 tripower,68 427 tripower,04 Z16, 62 340hp
Just want to get a confirmation on the diameter of clutch I need.
With the car sitting as long as it has I'd like to pull the trans and replace the clutch and check the flywheel.
What brand and size have you big blockers used ?? Its for a 427 x 400hp
I've been buying parts from Paragon,Zip and Corvette central, they all have different brands and diameters..

I am looking forward to the answers you get Jim because replacing the clutch is on my iist of things to do this summer. I want to put in something that I don't need to worry about doing again in 4 or 5 years.
Keep up the good questions.
Steve

It was originally built with a 14" diameter 168-tooth flywheel and an 11" clutch with a 10-spline input shaft. Check with Paragon, but I believe the clutch packages they sell are made by LuK - they're excellent (LuK is the world's largest OEM clutch manufacturer). Be sure and have the flywheel resurfaced and use a new pilot bushing.

:beer

Thanks JohnZ,
I was hoping you'd have time to help me out..
Just cureous though,what resource do you use to go back and pull information for all of us? Glad you have it..
Thanks Again..

You may also want to see if you have a local clutch rebuilder in your area. I have one near me and he sold Luk as well as others and will face the flywheel. I think it was $35 to face and install a new ring gear. I used a Hays clutch over some of the other "hotrod" ones and it has held up good. If I knew the local shop stocked the Luk I could have saved $100-$150 over the speed part catalogs price.

Try a CenterForce street/strip clutch if your looking for a new replacement. I put one on my 427 and love it!

Thanks JohnZ,
I was hoping you'd have time to help me out..
Just cureous though,what resource do you use to go back and pull information for all of us? Glad you have it..
Thanks Again..

About 40 years' worth of GM references and my own notes from my body-off restorations, project car builds, and many other different sources; the trick is keeping it organized for retrieval :) .

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom