Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Code 32 (EGR temp switch)

strokin383-c4

Corvette
1986 Black Z-51 Coupe
Okay, My vette is throwing a code 32 for my EGR temp switch. Midamerica no longer carries the part, nor does anyone I can find.. Can anyone tell me where to find it for a non ridiculous price and or what step I can do to fix it if I can no longer get one?

Okay, My vette is throwing a code 32 for my EGR temp switch. Midamerica no longer carries the part, nor does anyone I can find.. Can anyone tell me where to find it for a non ridiculous price and or what step I can do to fix it if I can no longer get one?

Start calling salvage yards and go to the auto parts store and get them to see what other vehicles (compatable list) used that switch...firebird, camero, same motor different car and start going to the junk yards..

Might want to check the wire and pull the thing and clean it. Might solve the problem. Most sensor problems are more about the connections than the actual ability to function.

Common for places to currently list it but not actually have any in stock or available when you order
pontiac firebird EGR Valve Temperature Sensor Delphi Emissions

F -body one is identical unit with a different length wire but has same supply problem
Has been long time supply problem
EGR temp sensor has been discontinued - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

If the F-Body people know about this problem, maybe there is a work around on one of the F-Body forums/boards. Might be a good place to check.
Andy :w

If the F-Body people know about this problem, maybe there is a work around on one of the F-Body forums/boards. Might be a good place to check.
There are many different ideas in the the 11 page 3rd Gen thread I linked above

Ok guys, thanks much. Ill check it out and get back to you all! :)

I think the 32 code is EGR CIRCUIT.

Clear the code, disconnect the vacuum tube at the EGR SWITCH. Jump 12V to the proper terminal of the switch, with your thumb over the vacuum port, and wait for a few minutes.

Unhook the jumper, and see if you have a new 32 in the ECM. If you do not, you have a vacuum leak in the EGR plumbing, and the switch is GOOD.

Haha. The EGR switch on mine doesn't have vacuum. Just a single wire.

The switch is just there to set a code 32 correct? i.e. it doesn't affect the operation of the EGR valve?

Haha. The EGR switch on mine doesn't have vacuum. Just a single wire.

The switch is just there to set a code 32 correct? i.e. it doesn't affect the operation of the EGR valve?
The EGR switch used in the external EGR tube has a single wire with no vacuum line. The ECM uses this switch to determine if exhaust gas is flowing to the EGR under a defined set of conditions. Based on the FSM, it looks like the ECM does not use this switch for direct EGR management as long as there is no code 32 posted.

EVAP cannister vapors get purged through EGR on L98, and LB9 (IROC 305).

At EVAP purge command, usually at cruise speed, if vacuum is not held after 'x' minutes/seconds, computer rings up 32DTC EGR circuit.

At EVAP purge command, usually at cruise speed, if vacuum is not held after 'x' minutes/seconds, computer rings up 32DTC EGR circuit.
On my LB9 (now L98) Camaro, the EVAP canister is purged through the throttle body. These two systems are controlled separately from the ECM.

On my LB9 (now L98) Camaro, the EVAP canister is purged through the throttle body. These two systems are controlled separately from the ECM.
What year is the LB9? Where's the purge solenoid that opens up the vac port?

Not on Vette TPI engines

Canister gets purged to vac port used by the PCV valve on early cars and to a dedicated port on TB on later cars
As noted EGR is completely different system and control

85 - 86 TPI

vacuum85-86.gif

87-91 TPI

VacuumTPI.gif

Even the Crossfires in '84 had a similar independent setup

VaccumCFI.jpg

On TPI cars there is no mechanism to give feed back to the ECM on canister purge operation so therefore there is no code for faulty / non operation

If fact there are no GM OBD1 codes for evap purge fail
OBD-1 Diagnostic Trouble Codes

On TPI cars there is no mechanism to give feed back to the ECM on canister purge operation so therefore there is no code for faulty / non operation

If fact there are no GM OBD1 codes for evap purge fail
OBD-1 Diagnostic Trouble Codes

All I know is around 1800-2200 RPMS my car studders and "service engine soon" light illuminates. If I throw the car into neutral while driving and rev past 3500 RPMS. 8 seconds later, the light switches off and remains off. however while the light is on, i have a massive loss in power. on the dyno it was around 80 RWP. The computer cose is a 32. I have tried 3 ECM's, so I know its not the ECM. If I wiggle the 1 wired connecting to the pipe in front of the distributor while the light is on, the light goes off. its the switch, and its discontinued. Where can I find one.

All I know is around 1800-2200 RPMS my car studders and "service engine soon" light illuminates. If I throw the car into neutral while driving and rev past 3500 RPMS. 8 seconds later, the light switches off and remains off. however while the light is on, i have a massive loss in power. on the dyno it was around 80 RWP. The computer cose is a 32. I have tried 3 ECM's, so I know its not the ECM. If I wiggle the 1 wired connecting to the pipe in front of the distributor while the light is on, the light goes off. its the switch, and its discontinued. Where can I find one.

They've got some on ebay right now. :D

What year, model, and book are these 2 diagrams from?

(2nd seems to show linkage from EVAP to EGR solenoid. They don't have anything to do with each other tho', do they)

The only common item to the EVAP and EGR systems, shown in diagram 2, is the vacuum lines that operates the mechanical devices.

Egr switch supplier found!

Hey guys I found a guy that just brought back the EGR Switch into production. He manufactures these and they will be in every corvette catalog in the next month or two. But for now you can order directly through him!http://corvettepartscenter.com]1985-91 Corvette EGR Temperature Switch NEW | eBay[/URL]

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom