Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Code 44 on 87 Vette

rayres74

Corvette
1987 Black convertible
I have an 87 corvette and was sitting at a light, it started to buck and the check engine light came on. Came home and checked by jumping the ab at odb1 connector and got code 44. Does this mean I should try replacing the 02 sensor? If I replace it is there only 1 to replace at the Y pipe? Advance Auto Parts has Bosch replacements for $18.

I think you 1987 is just like my 1989 with only one O2 sensor located on the driver's side. On the two vette's I've owned, I just went ahead and replaced them with no codes. Ran better (improved MPG). They make a special socket with slot for the wire which makes it pretty easy. Soak the threads first, I like PB Blaster. Now, is this causing your code 44? Not sure. I would first reset the ECM (disconnect battery for a few minutes) and see if it occurs again. Check fuel pressure and purge a little gasoline at the rails to see if it is contaminated. You can also disconnect the MAF and see if the lean condition goes away. Good luck.

I have an 87 corvette and was sitting at a light, it started to buck and the check engine light came on. Came home and checked by jumping the ab at odb1 connector and got code 44. Does this mean I should try replacing the 02 sensor? (snip)

It means you should follow the diagnostic instructions in the Factory Service Manual.

A faulty O2S only one problem that can cause the ECM to set code 44 which is lean exhaust. There are a number of other potential causes such as injectors, fuel pressure, exhaust leaks and so forth. The FSM will help you find and solve the problem.

D/C the battery. see if it does it again. The code 44 does NOT mean the o2 sensor is bad, it means there is an out of norm event at the o2 sensor, in this case lean exhaust.

The usual suspect is the MAF relay and sometimes the MAF itself.
Make sure the o2 wire is not melted onto the ex pipe, then when it happens again swap the 2 relays for the MAF. One is power the other is burn-off that does not effect the run-time. If this makes a difference go buy a new MAF power relay...$7 If new relays do not do it, confirm the bad MAF with a scan or other process of elimination...MAF...$200-$350 depending on where you shop. Some used ones go cheaper and some are being rebuilt. They are expensive and do not often fail.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom