Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 Code P00150 - Right Bank - Sensor 1

1996 LT4 Topic

Coyote

Corvette
1996 LT4 Convertible
My engine has been throwing this code since I put it back in the car. I got the same code about 2 years ago and replaced the O2 sensor. Never got the code again until now. When I first cranked the engine after having it out of the car there was quite a bit of smoke. This came from oil making its way into the exhaust manifolds while the engine was upside down on the stand. I thought maybe it was clogged with soot so I removed it and cleaned it up as best I could. I made sure that the openings in the "sheath" were open and free of carbon. Seemed to work for a while but then started throwing the code again. The only reason that I hesitate to replace the sensor again is because I had an identical problem with the OBDII in my 2000 4Runner throwing the same code! Changing out the O2 sensor didn't solve the code issue. Turned out to be a bug (yes a real bug!) on the MAF sensor. I'll never figure out how it got there since it is down stream of the air filter. I suspected that maybe something similar happened on the LT4 so I removed, inspected and cleaned the MAF sensor. It was a little bit dirty but cleaned up nicely. No bug! Still throwing the code though. Any ideas before I cough up some more money on a new O2 sensor? This also leads me to another question: Why not any of the other three O2 sensors? Car only has 56K miles.

I think you are on the right track looking at the MAF. I have had the same experience of intermittant P0150 & P0151 codes.....before and after replacing all the O2 sensors.

The best I can recall is all my codes came after I removed the MAF screen. I found one other post on another forum suggesting the same thing, that removing the MAF screen resulted in these intermittant codes, not caused by a bad O2 sensor.

The codes don't happen very often and I have not experienced any obvious driving or performance issues related to them.

Found Problem

I think you are on the right track looking at the MAF. I have had the same experience of intermittant P0150 & P0151 codes.....before and after replacing all the O2 sensors.

The best I can recall is all my codes came after I removed the MAF screen. I found one other post on another forum suggesting the same thing, that removing the MAF screen resulted in these intermittant codes, not caused by a bad O2 sensor.

The codes don't happen very often and I have not experienced any obvious driving or performance issues related to them.

I ended up changing the O2 sensor with reluctance. Turns out that it was a bad sensor after all. I haven't had the code since I changed it out.

If I were a real mechanic................(I play one in "Junk My Ride"!)

I'd probly get out my trusty Snap-On Diagnostic Computer,plug it in in Data Mode and go for a ride in the passenger seat so I could see whats happening under All driving conditions!~!!:thumb

Sensor may be borderline out of range.
.;shrug

Sensor may be sluggish.
;shrug
Sensor may be intermittently shorted.
;shrug
Sensor may be intermittently open.
;shrug
Sensor wiring to ECM may have corroded connections,broken wire in harness or chafed insulation/bare/melted wire. (short to ground or B+)
;shrug
Sensor may be just JUNK!
;shrug
At any rate,without proper test equipment this could take Years and Cost....Hundreds of Dollars!~!!

:D

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom