Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Code P0336 - only Service light comes on no other signs

gmhowe

Corvette
1985 4+3 black cpe & 96 LT1 CE
96 LT1 - Front End Under carriage took a bad hit about 3 weeks ago, $3k worth of damage Service light was not on before taking it to the dealer. Now code is on even after clearing it. Dealer says they replaced the crankshaft sensor and it still came on. They said to replace the computer. Just checking if anyone has any ideas. Car runs fine just the light keeps coming on.
Thanx in advance as always
Gordon

OBD-II Code P0336 is defined as a Crankshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit Range/Performance
The Distributor/Crankshaft Position Sensor measures the exact rotational speed and position of the crankshaft. This provides a critical data signal used by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to control Ignition Spark Timing and Fuel Delivery. When this signal is interrupted for any reason, code P0336 is set and the MIL or Check Engine Light is illuminated.
P0336 Symptoms

• Check Engine Light will illuminate
  • Hard starting/cranking without starting
  • Engine hesitation or stalling
  • Engine dies and will not re-start
  • In many cases, no abnormal symptoms may be noticed
Common Problems That Trigger the P0336 Code

• Defective Crankshaft Position Sensor
  • Faulty or corroded Crankshaft Position Sensor wiring or connections
  • Defective Camshaft Position Sensor
  • Rough running/misfiring Engine
Common Misdiagnoses

• Crankshaft Position Sensor is replaced when the cause is a defective Camshaft Position Sensor
  • Crankshaft Position Sensor is replaced when the cause is a poor connection or chafed wiring
  • Crankshaft Position Sensor is replaced when the cause is a misfiring engine
Not the OBD-II Code You're Looking For?

Last edited:
96 LT1 - Front End Under carriage took a bad hit about 3 weeks ago, $3k worth of damage Service light was not on before taking it to the dealer. Now code is on even after clearing it. Dealer says they replaced the crankshaft sensor and it still came on. They said to replace the computer. Just checking if anyone has any ideas.(snip)

You already know P0336 is a fault with the crankshaft sensor, but actually, it's can be fault with either the timing chain, the crankshaft position sensor (CKP), the sensor's wiring, the PCM or a problem EMI from the plug wires.

Certainly possible that the engine controller has gone bad but since the P0336 is the result of collision damage, I'd sure be looking at the CKP wiring, including the tests with a signal generator discussed in the Factory Service Manual, before I'd replace the computer.

I think I'd go back to the dealer and ask them if they diagnosed the CKP harness.

Funny thing is that the code wasn't there before I took it to the shop, they replaced the Crankshaft sensor but that didn't clear the code and they still want me to pay for the sensor. Now they are saying its the computer and I still am fighting them about "why do I have to pay for the parts when it was fine before they started working on it". I have another post in "General Discussion" describing what happened to the car and why it went into the shop.
Gordon

Here is the latest and from my post on General Discussion side of this forum
So when I went to pick up the car, there it is in the pick up spot running and the service engine lite is on. They took it back and basically cleared the code and brought it back. I drove it for about 10 miles and the lite came back on same code P0336. They actually checked it out this time and replace the crankshaft sensor. Didn't clear the code but left the new parts ( $300 ) in and not putting my old one back. Then they replaced the opti spark ( Distributor ) that didn't clear it either then they replaced the ECM that didin't clear it either. So now the are thinking a stretched timing chain ( go figure ) I have not been billed for anything after the crankshaft sensor. ( Must have been the really nasty emails I got from them asking about how my visit with them went ) so now I just think they are trying to find something that they can just fix it and finally get more money from me. I guess if you keep throwing paint at the wall it will eventually get done. so its still at the shop been over a month now.

I have a post on the general info forum. The latest is the computer change didn't work, no stretched timing chain, changing distributor didn't work. Then they wanted to try to reprogram the computer to get rid of the code. I said not and just put it back to together and I would pick it up and figure something out. Gotta fix it since emissions is due next year and will immediately fail with a code present. I am really at a loss.
G

New update for this in General Discussion forum

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom