Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Code Question

96VetteOKC

Corvette
1996 Torch Red Coupe
Got the SES light this afternoon, and had the code read. This is what it came up with. Other than running the battery down the other day trying to get this money pit, er...Corvette started, I have had no serious issues.

Code: P1572

Definition: Traction control system circuit low too long.

Explanation: Traction control circuit indicates active traction control.
ECM has detected an active signal too long.

Probable cause: Short circuit to ground or failed EBTCM

This is all Greek to me. Can someone explain to me what I need to be looking for, and where? Thank you very much in advance!

Update: Cleared out the code, took the car and did a few burnouts and panic stops on some wet grass. Everything is working as it should. ABS and Traction Control are both functioning perfectly, so I'm completely stumped as to what might have been, or may be causing the problem.:confused

If the code resets, you will need the Factory Service manual. Instructions on solving that code will be in those books.

Update: Cleared out the code, took the car and did a few burnouts and panic stops on some wet grass. Everything is working as it should. ABS and Traction Control are both functioning perfectly, so I'm completely stumped as to what might have been, or may be causing the problem.:confused

These things are hyper-sensitive to dirty connections, plugs and grounds. With the delicate signals that are often just measured resistance thru several ft of wire, a little corrosion in or on the contacts can do weird things. The grounds are most often the cause of these phantom codes and other misbehavior.

The wire harness gets the "big C" and the trouble begins. Corrosion inside the insulation.

Remember, most other cars from that year have been junked. In most cases, a Corvette never dies, it just gets a new owner.

These things are hyper-sensitive to dirty connections, plugs and grounds. With the delicate signals that are often just measured resistance thru several ft of wire, a little corrosion in or on the contacts can do weird things. The grounds are most often the cause of these phantom codes and other misbehavior.

The wire harness gets the "big C" and the trouble begins. Corrosion inside the insulation.

Remember, most other cars from that year have been junked. In most cases, a Corvette never dies, it just gets a new owner.

Imagine my surprise. I seem to be the king of "phantom codes". The C5 I had threw a couple of codes one time that left a GM mechanic scratching his head. Thankfully, they never came back once they were cleared, but it was unnerving just the same.

Nothing has shown up in the last couple of days, but it seems I read somewhere that the code could still be there, but will take 75 miles for the light to turn on again. If I can figure out where this EBTCM is located, I can try to trace the wires to the ground source, but not knowing where it is, or what it even looks like is what has me stumped.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom