Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Code reader etc. 90 ZR-1 Advice Please!

• Thread starter Thread starter karfever
  • Start date Start date
K

karfever

Even though I enjoy this car way too much, I do have a slight problem and am looking for advice;I have a check engine light on and have lost some power although the engine runs smooth albeit a fast idle when coming to a stop. No measurable vac leak.

1. What and where can I buy a inexpensive code reader?
2. Are the service manuals availible from vendors worth the $120?
3. Any obvious places to start?

Thanks guys, I really enjoy the forum!

Steve
:confused

karfever said:
Even though I enjoy this car way too much, I do have a slight problem and am looking for advice;I have a check engine light on and have lost some power although the engine runs smooth albeit a fast idle when coming to a stop. No measurable vac leak.

1. What and where can I buy a inexpensive code reader?
2. Are the service manuals availible from vendors worth the $120?
3. Any obvious places to start?

Thanks guys, I really enjoy the forum!

Steve
:confused

1. Use a paper clip to short the diagnostic port. ZR1.net has the details for your car. Not sure which ones to jumper on the 90s. I'll go look.

2. The factory service manual is worth every penny. For 90 you'll also need the LT5 supplement. Check ebay.

3. Check the MAP hose on back of the plenum. It attaches under the MAP sensor (the aluminum rectangle bolted to the rear of the plenum) to the rear plenum.

ted

Thanks for the advice...Exactly where is Niceville? We just moved here in October from Tennessee...heading for retirement, all dependant on the market, so it looks like another 10 years of work!

Niceville's between Pensacola and Tallahassee.

from the archives:

There is a black connector just above the accelerator pedal, at the
bottom of the dash, called the data link connector (DLC). It's about
1-1/2"X5/8". You need a jumper wire to short together the two terminals
on the right side of the row closest to the rear of the car (the
terminal faces down). I made a jumper out of 22 gauge speaker wire. I
cut a 2" piece of wire, stripped each end a 1/4" and put solder on the
stranded wires to reinforce them. Thicker wire will not fit in the
terminal space.
Put the ignition key in and turn it to the second stop but do not
start the engine. You will see the "service engine soon" light flash in
the following flash sequence: "flash, pause, flash-flash, long pause,
flash, pause, flash-flash, long pause, flash, pause, flash-flash". The
single flash corresponds to a "1" and the double flash is a "2". This
is code 12 (flashed 3 times), which tells you the diagnostic system is
working. This is followed by 3 repetitions of the various failure codes,
going in number from lowest to highest.

http://listserv.corvettemuseum.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0101&L=ZR1NET&P=R18261

Great advice! I will read the codes in a couple days to check everything out. You were right on the money about the hose for the MAP sensor. It had fallen off. I reinstalled using tension clamps. The car is ALIVE again! I owe you a cool one when I visit niceville!
Thanks Again!

Be careful about clamping it on. The system needs/will have one weak point when you don't start it correctly. It will need pressure relief. Let it have the MAP hose. If not, it will blow off one under the plenum and you'll be in the pullers club. Next time this happens, just put the hose back on.

ted

I considered the 'weak point' and left it slip fit only on the pipe going to the MAP sensor. I just ordered the manuals, (a complete set) for 97 from HELM.
Ted thanks so much for the advice!

I have a full scanner that will read the codes, real time data, and even take a short movie of engine action.

Come on down for a short trip to Orange Park and I can hook it up for you.

Chris, I would like to take you up on your offer. Now if it will just quit raining!

Steve

Anytime. Just let me know

443-4642 (work number during the day).

BTW-I use a Actron 9110 (or maybe 9100).

I also have a Actron OBDII system.

You can go to

www.actron.com and look up the full diagnostic code scanner/reader for the pre 96 vehicles (OBD I). The 84-95 GM cartridge has the LT5 settings.

It will set you back about $200 for the scanner and cartridge, and worth every penny.

I work in Baymeadows, so you if you want to swing down on your lunch break or something...let me know and I will bring the scanner to work with me.

There will be a cruise this Saturday night.

4th Saturday Hooters in Sandcastle Plaza

**Applebee's, Hooters, Outback, Chinese**
A1A and JTB in Jacksonville Beach

I "might" make it out there....kind of iffy right now, but if you plan to go maybe I can bring the scanner out.....and or, you could plan on going then swinging on over to OP before or after the cruise and we can hook you up. Maybe the rain will quit by then.

I will be here doing last minute repairs/preps on the RV.

If the weather holds, I will try to make it to Hooters. I will give you an email or call Saturday afternoon and let ya know for sure! I would look forward to meeting you!

Steve

karfever said:
Thanks for the advice...Exactly where is Niceville? We just moved here in October from Tennessee...heading for retirement, all dependant on the market, so it looks like another 10 years of work!
It's comforting to know I'm not the only one that will have to work till the grave.(my cars are coming with me)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom