Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Coil over springs

fratchj

Has anyone had any experence in putting coil over springs on the rear end of of an 82 C3? Something like the Heidt's rear end.
john

I have...how much do you want to cut up your car?

Here with my double a arm rear suspension

aarmirs4.jpg

aarmirs1.jpg

and here with the 5 bar I built before that:

irsinst5.jpg

You could just weld a support to the trailing arm that angs below it and then bolt the coil over to that and to a new mount located slightly inboard of the stock mount, it should be possible without removing the storage boxes but it's very tight.

That is about what I want to do. Do you have any more pics of that? Did you come up with the double A are yourself? It looks good. As far as cutting up the car, once everything is together again, who cares.
John

Yes, the complete front & rear suspension is designed and built by me. I first built a 5 bar for the rear but after some consideration I felt I should have gone with double a arms and did.

Here's some pics:
aarmirs3.jpg

aarmirs5.jpg

reararm9.jpg

reararm_1.jpg

reararm_2.jpg

The old 5 link
irs4.jpg

irs3.jpg

irsinst6.jpg

This is great. The cad drawings are good. The Heidth's rear end is good, but at 4 grand, I could do the same. My body is off now and I have playing with the idea of either air bags or coil overs.
John

Don't be foioled, what you are looking at is easily a couple of months work, with all the calculating and designing even more. You will have to seriously cut up the car, removing the storage boxes and relocating the battery of course. Doing it like norvalwilhelm did with the brackets on the trailing arms and using 5" stroke shocks w/ new moutns on the inside of the frame rails is much easier.

I am not saying that it will be easy, I have already used two spools of welding wire on this project. I have coil overs on the front now, and this project has been in the works for at least 6 months already. I am a retired engineer and I appreciate the work that went into that design of yours. I think you did one heck of a job.
john

Cool, can you post pics? I'd really like to see how you did it.
I have coil overs on the front also, I severely modified the frame and built custom lower arms. I also have an end take off front steering rack and pinion setup:

frcrossmember1.jpg

tierod.jpg

slick2.jpg

frameext3.jpg

The whole front frame structure is there for the rad, oil cooler, intercoolers and all but mainly for the flip front, that's why the red urethane bushings are there, that's where it hinges.

Well mine sure don't look that good. That is a real professional installion. As soon as I get my main computer up again I will send a few pics. I am on the laptop, my IP address dropped out and I can't get it to find the internet connection. I went into XP and tried to get it to find the address automaticly and it would not, I tried to put it in manually and as soon as I leave the control panel it gets lost again. Maybe a call to MS is in order.
John

thanks for the compliment...a lot of time and effort went into it. Looking forward to seing your pics :)

I have coilovers on all 4 corners.
while the rear shocks are in the stock location nothing from the original mounting was used. I run 450 pound springs on the back 10 inches long and they are on the soft side.
2hncciw.jpg

2hs0iyv.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom