Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cold versus not so cold storage...much difference?

Roadster Guy

Corvette
1996 Roadster CE/LT4/F45
Well, it's getting to be that time of year when the oil gets changed and the wash and wax get done before winter storage. And now I'm debating something.

I can either store my Vette in my insulated attached double garage where the winter temp hovers around 32F. Or I can put it in my secure, dry, cement floor out building, but inside it is as cold as outside, which is often around freezing and often way below freezing. It would be parked on 1" ply on the cement floor in the outbuilding. Both places are rodent free. Either way I would have it covered and hooked up to a battery tender.

It would be more convenient for me to put it in the outbuilding because then I could utilize the garage for both of my other vehicles and it would save me from cleaning off the snow and ice and they would be warmer to jump into.

Basically then, what I'm wondering, is cold storage harder on the Vette or not to worry about it.
RG

I'd put it in the outbuilding and keep using the garage. I have the same problem, my attached garage is used for the Jeep in the winter, the vette is then stored in a rented building about 1/2 mile away. It is unheated and others store their cars there too. I've had no problems with the Vette in 7 years of this. Also use a battery tender. Both cars are fitted with aftermarket alarm systems that include a remote start feature. When stored I drive by once a week and push the button to start it up, it then runs for 15 mins. If it doesn't start I go in and check out what's wrong. (The car is stored on a third floor walk up and I don't want to walk up in the cold if I don't need to).

Tony, ok. Sounds like my situation.

Hey, I always wondered about starting my vette with the battery tender hooked up and plugged in. From what you say you can do it and not harm the tender or the battery. Actually, I've even wondered about starting it with the tender hooked up to the battery and not plugged in if that would hurt anything. To tell you the truth, I've always disconnected it before starting the Vette. Sounds like that was not necessary.
RG

I've never had a problem with the battery tender and regularly start either car with it connected and plugged in. I forgot to mention that I also unplug the connectors to the underhood lights and pull the fuse for the clock etc, I have had problems with the mercury switch for the hood and console lights coming on but that's probably just my Vette. Snow flurries today so It's gonna be put away soon.

I would put your Vette into your out building. The temperature will have no effect on the Vette.

I have been using a charger that I have wired into the harness. The Schumacher SE-1562A Fully Automatic Battery Charger. Works like a charm! Have been very happy with it. This one automatically switches from full charge to float-mode monitoring.

SAVE THE :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom