Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

News: Collapse at National Corvette Museum sends cars into sinkhole

It looks like the sink hole was there and then the floor collapsed later. :confused
I did a bit of reading last night about sink holes and that is what usually happens. Unbridled curiosity. I'm not expert so don't take this to the bank!

Water washes away limestone or other porous rock, creating a cave. This undermines whatever is above the new cave. If there is nothing but soil above, the dirt sometimes liquifies enough to gum things up so it doesn't drop precipitously. If something rigid is above, whether that is non-porous rock shelf or man-made structure, it will often remain intact until completely undermined and then it drops, hard and fast. The strange part is that this process doesn't necessarily take years as one might suppose. If the limestone was plugging an artesian water aquifer, once the limestone is gone, the aquifer can undermine the ground in a matter of days.

If the sink hole is detected before it drops, it can sometimes be prevented by pumping hydraulic mud and concrete in under pressure.

Mac

I don't think I'd feel safe in there anymore; How do they know it won't happen under another part of the museum? Man this really sucks. Maybe it's a sneaky Dodge Viper attack.:)

I don't think I'd feel safe in there anymore; How do they know it won't happen under another part of the museum? Man this really sucks. Maybe it's a sneaky Dodge Viper attack.:)
Apparently, they're still doing business as usual in the unaffected areas of the museum but I'm willing to bet they have geotechnical engineers working overtime figuring out what to do about all of this.

First the CAC develops a sinkhole and loses a bunch of threads. Now the museum... What's next? The assembly plant?? :eek

Mac

First the CAC develops a sinkhole and loses a bunch of threads. Now the museum... What's next? The assembly plant?? :eek

Mac
Hey now!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That will be enough out of you! Back to scrubbing the floor of the executive loo!!! :wtcslap

No problem, boss!

Mac

(grabs Rob's toothbrush and heads to the bathroom)

Thanks for your service! i would not own a Vette if it were not for a Navy(Devil Doc) Corpsman

:thumb

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom