Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

collectable corvettes

motorman

Corvette
2008 Crystal Red Tint Coat
this is caused by old farts who now have money and want a car the wished they had when they were younger.these corvette are easy to restore because they are so crude and simple. the newer corvettes,C-4 and C-5 will not be collected like the old corvettes because of all the electronic stuff in the cars and this will not be easy to repair or replace 30/40 years down the road. every one asked me if i wished i had all those old corvettes and muscle cars i had back in the 50s, 60s and 70s and i tell them i would not trade my 02 C-5 for any of them. i have owned every high performance car chevy ever made except a 409 when they were brand new. JMHO this belongs in the post below and i have no idea how it got to be a new thread. sorry

In 30/40 years the C4 and C5 will be collectors items because with the way technology is they will be crude and simple.

There not bringing in money because "old farts" are buying them , there getting top dollar because there's not many left. C4 and C5 won't be getting top dollar, because there's so many of them out there. Take the L88's, going rate for 67 (20 made) around 250-300 grand only beacuse of the limited production. If there were 5000 out there the price would be 50-60 k. Same holds true for the 53's when you can find one. just saw a 82 Silver Green ( 723 made)the other day, pristine condition 27k. any other 82 would be in the 13-14 range. it's the limited editions that get the coin. also if you take a 69 427/435 tri power and sink 40-50 grand in a resto, you not going to take 60 grand when you sell it, there going for almost 90 grand for a roadster

you are talking about limited production cars not the mass produced ones. the prices you see for older corvettes is because if the inflation of the dollar. if i had taken the money i got from my 65 396 conv when i sold it in 66 to get my 427 and invested it a good stock i would have more money than i would get for my 66 if i still had it. the guys that bought the ZR-1s when they came out and paid $20,000 over sticker can not even get 1/2 of the list price now. the price of collectable cars is controlled by how much money is in the system and with the stock market down from what it was 2 years ago the cars are cheaper. JMHO

Not true at all, there are really no limited production Vettes, the 96 grand sport and the ruby ZR-1 are really the only one that they said they would make limited all the others were produced based on orders that were placed. The L88's were not limited production they would have made as many as were ordered but back in 67.. $947.00 for and option was a lot of coin. Most people were only paying 6-8 grand for a house. Mid-years are getting top dollar and are steadly climbing, the new kids on the block are the 69-71 which are going thru the roof. ZR-1's are still holding there value pretty well, go try and by a 93 ruby ZR-1 and you'll still pay 59k for it. Just looked at a black 67 447/400 that was going for 79k, complete frame off resto. for those older car the economy does not dictate sales as most people that buy them are plunking down cash, it's the newer ones that get financed that take the hits. If you can afford to lay down 79k for a car, your not bad off financially. Just go around and look at how many used C5's you find, those are the first to go when your strapped for cash. lots of people drive C4 and C5's as their daily driver, with no other car but all the people I know that have older cars also have 2 or 3 other car to drive around and leave the muscle in the garage for a clear day. Cars are not bought for and investment there are much easier way to make money.

i watch a guy bid a 67 427 /435 up to $102,000 at calisle a couple of years ago and what will he do with it,trailer it to NCRS meets hoping to win a trophy. he will never drive the car for enjoyment like i did my 60s BB by drag racing,auto cross, time trials at road race courses. i still do the same thing now with my 02 because that is why i have a corvette, to enjoy it by driving. the only cars that i trailer are my circle track race cars. different strokes for different folks. L-88 are no big deal because in the 70s i had a L-88 engine in my pick up truck so i could pick on corvettes and porsches. i still have the engine in my shop maybe i will put it into a street rod some day

be nice to have that L-88 in a street rod , it would rock. ever try to find out if the chassis is still around somewhere. A VIN check should do it. Put everything back together, be worth some bucks

During the Barrett-Jackson auction earlier this year, the 'expert' commentators voiced the opinion the Corvette values escalated as the stock market fell due to investors seeking refuge. They cited the late '80's price escalation as an example.

rwd said:
During the Barrett-Jackson auction earlier this year, the 'expert' commentators voiced the opinion the Corvette values escalated as the stock market fell due to investors seeking refuge. They cited the late '80's price escalation as an example.

Those are the same clowns than can't tell a solid axles from a Mid- Year. the Barrett-Jackson commentators made numerous mistakes when it came time to describe a Corvette. Wrong information, wrong year and so on

Yup. That's why I put 'experts' in quotes.

Value/collectability

I said that the old Camaros and Mustangs wouldn't be collectable either, because they made so many ! LOL! Won't make that mistake again on the C5!
Joe

I think that if you look at things objectively that you will note that, with a few exceptions of cars that were truly limited production, that most "collectable" cars are simply those that the average Joe bought, drove and took care of. Lots of C-4 and C-5 cars will be collectable because of the mystque associated with 'Vettes.

Some of you will say there are too many, others will comment on the "high tech" parts that cannot be repaired. To you I say simply "Model T", Edsel, Corvair, Henry J...--I think you get the idea.

Many "T"s were built. Edsels, Corvairs, and Henry J's were top technology at the time--yet they are collectable and worth many times their value because only a few exist in original condition.

Those who look to the day that their original car may be collectible should be happy every time someone modifies their car; while it increases the immediate worth--it makes the originals more valuable/collectable in some future market.

Personally I think that any 'vette in good order has the potential to be a collectible--If you are willing to wait long enough.

If there's one thing in this world that I cannot stand, it's a garage queen. If you have a car, drive the damn thing instead of leaving it parked in the garage! I don't understand what's going through those minds of some people like that.

A car isn't a good investment because it's value will go down 99% of the time. Cars are about as good as an investment as baseball cards. Sure, you have your Babe Ruth's and Mickey Mantle rookie cards worth a lot of money, but those aren't that common, just like the L-88's.

And when a new generation comes out, the last generation goes down in value that much more.

BullWinkle said:
If there's one thing in this world that I cannot stand, it's a garage queen. If you have a car, drive the damn thing instead of leaving it parked in the garage! I don't understand what's going through those minds of some people like that.

Tsk, Tsk--name calling. You need a spanking. Maybe a Moderator will speak to you about correct manners--name calling is not any way to gain recognition in this forum.

FYI and as a courtesy (that I extend to everyone regardless of their manners, mental state, or intelligence) what car I drive, when I drive it and how I drive it is up to me. I usually have several cars available, and I can't drive all of them at once. I choose when I drive any of my cars and under what conditions.

I don't have a problem with "garage queens" . I think if I spent 100-200k for a car it would not get driven that much. Seems in order to get a higher resale value these days you have to have sonething with low miles, no one wants cars with anything above 20 grand on the clock .

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom