Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Column Lock on a 2004

K

kvozel

Just got a 2004 MN6, and the VIN is out of the range of the Column Lock recalls. Service history shows that nothing has been done to the car with regards to any of the Column Lock recalss. I want to install the Column Lock Bypass, but want to know if there is anything unique or different on the later VINs that might cause an issue.

First question, have you had any problems??
Second, your in 04, that means your under the GM special policy, so if there is a problem with it, it will be repaired tilll Feb 29, 2008, at no cost to you.
CLB is a very bad idea.
Allthebest, c4c5:hb

First question, have you had any problems??

No, and I don't want to.

Second, your in 04, that means your under the GM special policy, so if there is a problem with it, it will be repaired tilll Feb 29, 2008, at no cost to you. CLB is a very bad idea.

Several points here.....
1. What GM special policy? The latest recall notice says the VIN range covered stops at 45120862. and my VIN is above that.
2. I don't want a problem, even if it can be repaired. Plus, my understanding of all the GM "fixes" is not to actually fix the problem, just mitigate the circumstances.
3. Why do you say CLB is a bad idea? I had one installed in my '00 Coupe for 5 years with no issues. I ignored all GM recalls on this subject, and even had the blessing of my servicwe advisor.

Ok, well, lets start from the beginning.
First, 05081 is the GM special policy that covers column lock repairs and problems till Feb 29.2008, it is NOT a RECALL!!!!
Second, CLB does NOT load the internal relays within the BCM correctly, compared to the relay system with the 04006C recall.
This can create problems with the BCM, necessitating a 300 dollar module plus installation, diagnosis and programming, that would NOT be covered by the special policy.
There are over 50 different faults for a column lock problem, the biggest one being a battery that is NOT sound.
So, with that in mind, make your own choice, I am simply offering fact on the repairs and options.
Allthebest,c4c5

C4C5 are you speling doom on my CLB?

I finally installed my CLB a month ago, it works great! I have a 99 Vert. and frankly I got tired of the crap shoot of not knowing if my car will look up or not every time I use it! It had all the recall work done, all this made was build a false sence of security. The stearing would still lock up at the worst times possible. I got stuck at weading, restaurants,and the best was in the middle of an bridge when I turned the car off while stoped and waiting for some barges to pass, the column locked out and in the 45 minutes I waited for a tow truck I have learned every profanity known in english language and eaven some freshly invented ones! When you say 50 differant reasons it makes me shreek, I did not know one could screw up single system in that many ways. I have not herd of this extention and my dealer probably forgaten to tell me about it since he keept charging me $98 for every visit plus towing! CLB restored my confidance in the car and now you are teling me it can screw up my BCM, this just is not wright!!!
I love Corvetts, C5 being what I think is the most beutifull one of them all but the acumulation of problems iheritent to this car is starting to wear me thin.
I just hope now that my BCM will not explode in the middle of afternoon trafic jam.:cry ;LOL

Ok, well, lets start from the beginning.
First, 05081 is the GM special policy that covers column lock repairs and problems till Feb 29.2008, it is NOT a RECALL!!!!

Ok, I stand corrected. Sorry for not knowing the proper terminology, I was only looking at "PRODUCT SAFETY RECALL # 04006C".

Second, CLB does NOT load the internal relays within the BCM correctly, compared to the relay system with the 04006C recall.
This can create problems with the BCM, necessitating a 300 dollar module plus installation, diagnosis and programming, that would NOT be covered by the special policy.
There are over 50 different faults for a column lock problem, the biggest one being a battery that is NOT sound.
So, with that in mind, make your own choice, I am simply offering fact on the repairs and options.
Allthebest,c4c5
Understood, but could you also answer the questions I posed? Especially why my VIN would not be in the 04006C range, and whether the "fixes" actually fix anything (on the MN6), or just reduce fuel so you can't drive when the problem does occur.

Thanks.

Hi there,
First, 04006C might not have had all the VINs processed yet. Or, they found that there isnt an issue for your car, I cannot speculate.
As for your questions, with over 50 different reasons for a column lock failure, how can I possibly speculate as to what, if anything, would go wrong??
No one is willing to talk about the entire system. Everyone seems to think there is only 2 or 3 things that cause column lock issues, this is totally incorrect.
Personally, working in a Chevrolet dealership, I have seen rubbed through wiring harnesses, bad actuators, bad BCMs, bad feedback relays, insufficient terminal tension at different parts of the system, blown fuses due to CLB. But the biggest issue, is the incorrect battery voltage supply.
So, with all of that, it would be IMPOSSIBLE to correctly answer your question with FACTS, as to the "FIX" and if it works or not. The recall addresses the largest problem area, the actuator itself.
Some relays have gone bad after, yes, but that can be addressed by the special policy.
As far as the fuel system shutoff, that has always been there, even before the recall was implemented.
Allthebest, c4c5

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom