Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Combustion Chamber Decarbonizer

S

secondchance

I picked up a can of GM Engine top decarbonizer but reading the instructions, they are describing how to use it for carburators. I was wondering if this stuff is safe for fuel injected cars and O2 sensor friendly. Any thoughts?

Actually it is a good product to soak an O2 sensor to decarbon it. I think that it has been many years since they updated that can label. Might be more dificult to follow the instructions with the horizonal intakes openings but the results swill be the same.

Tom

I understand. But still my concern is after decarboning, if small chunks of carbon deposit starts to exhast and coat O2 sensor if that could cause problem. Especially for 94 ZR-1, getting to the O2 sensors are tough because of relocated bullit type cats are closer to the exhast manifold.

On older cars it was necessary yo disconnect the cat before decarbonizing to avoid clogging it. I would think that would still be the case and if it is I would also take the time to remove the O2 sensor for the process and clean it seperately. You should check with your dealer to get their oppinion on this.

Tom

For the record, I just got off the phone w/ one of the best ZR-1 mechanic with local chev dealer. He tells me that the GM engine top decarbonizer is O2 sensor and cat safe. His suggestion was to use the aerosol kind and be careful since LT-5 can easily lock hydrostatically.

Well....

You can do the same thing with Transmission fluid. It's cheaper, does the same thing(high detergent), etc. I do agree with the spray idea though.. It would be nearly impossible to pour transmission fluid into an LT5 because of the design.. Put it in a sprayer and mist it in there... In about 5 minutes you'll start seeing black liquid coming out of the exhaust pipes. Works like a charm.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom