Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Composite leaf springs

L

LA VETT

I recently bought a 97 and found longitudinal splits in both the front and back Leaf Springs, when I was getting the wheels aligned at the local Chevy dealership.
The mechanic said that they needed to be replaced, but we got a second opinion from the Service Mgr and he said that as long as they were not broken across the width they were okay.
Has anyone else had this problem? If so any suggestions.
LA VETT (The Vett)

Hi there,
Honestly, it depends on what you mean by splits.
Normally, you can see flow marks, or slight voids in the spring, it will never look perfectly seamless.
What you would need to be concerned with is if the spring looks like you have splinters, coming away from the main body of the spring, almost like splintering wood.
If you have this, you would need to replace the springs, if not, and you simply have flow marks, then NO, no replacement is needed.
Please keep us up to date as to your issue, and resolution.
Besttoyou, c4c5:hb

Composite Leaf Springs

c4c5,
Thanks for your quick response.
Yes they are splintered, the front about 8" in length and 1/4" wide and the rear about 3" long and 1/4" wide. Both are damaged along the edge of the leaf, and appear to have been hit by road debris.
My plan is to keep an eye on them and replace them if they continue to split. Any suggestions on replacements???
Thanks again
LA VETT

HI there,
It really depends on what you want.
Personally, I am agressive, and love a firm ride.
FE4, or ZO6, which is the same, do the most for me and my type of driving.
When you go to order the springs, specify your suspension options.
They will ask you. Depending on what you have, you may have FE1, or FE3, or F45, or Z51.
FE4 is the ZO6 package, and is the firmest of the bunch.
Let us know if we can help further, and honestly, I would not wait, I would get them replaced as soon as possible, without question.
Besttoyou, c4c5:hb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom