Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Computer Controlled Carb/Distributor Removal?

HammerDown

Corvette
1981 White/ Red int.
Computer Controlled Carb/Distributor Deletion?

Hi people...on my 81 am I able to install a 'older' pre-computer controlled Quadrajet and a standard vacuum advance GM HEI dizzy and have a great running engine?
If so would I just ignore the computer plugs going to the dizy/carb and tape them up?

I'm about SICK and TIRED of the rough idle, lean stumble etc > and want to control my carb mixture and dizzy advance.

I don't worry about emissions checks as I'm well under 5000 miles per year.

Thanks for any feedback, Ray

I did the swap 2 years ago and never regreted it. You could leave all the polution controled devises in place and just change out distributor and carb. You will get a check engine light all the time. But I do think the tcc lock up will still work. I removed all the smog and computer. Now I have a engine that I can time and adjust for what the motor wants. The only problem is the lock up torque converter wont work without the CCC but that is really very easy to modify. With dual exhaust, long tube headers added to the dizzy and carb change this old 81 runs much better. Aftermarket heads and a camshaft install in the near future and look out Z06....;LOLJust kidding you guys

I did the swap 2 years ago and never regreted it. You could leave all the polution controled devises in place and just change out distributor and carb. You will get a check engine light all the time. But I do think the tcc lock up will still work. I removed all the smog and computer. Now I have a engine that I can time and adjust for what the motor wants. The only problem is the lock up torque converter wont work without the CCC but that is really very easy to modify. With dual exhaust, long tube headers added to the dizzy and carb change this old 81 runs much better...
Much thanks for the feedback...but what's the trany mod (if) I too completely remove the computer?
Last thing I need is a trany that won't work :eek:hnoes

The trans will work just fine with no computer system. The 3rd gear lock up feature will not work. Jegs, Summit, Bowtie overdrives all have kits for the lockup torque converter. I have been running with out the tcc hook up with no issues. A trany guy might have a different opinion. There might be heat build up in the trans with long free way driving and no tcc function but I can say for sure a 120 mile trip to the ocean had no trouble with the trans. I run this car hard on the weekends around town and frankly I dont miss the extra gas mileage savings with the lock up not jumping in and out gear at 42mph and higher

The trans will work just fine with no computer system. The 3rd gear lock up feature will not work. Jegs, Summit, Bowtie overdrives all have kits for the lockup torque converter. I have been running with out the tcc hook up with no issues. A trany guy might have a different opinion. There might be heat build up in the trans with long free way driving and no tcc function but I can say for sure a 120 mile trip to the ocean had no trouble with the trans. I run this car hard on the weekends around town and frankly I dont miss the extra gas mileage savings with the lock up not jumping in and out gear at 42mph and higher
Thanks again for the prompt reply...funny quick story > back in the mid 80's a friend suggested I put a 'cam' in my engine to "wake it up" so we did. The thing had more power but idled like CRAP because the computer was always trying to adjust for the cam but couldn't...of course we had no idea their would later be offered computer-cams for these cars.:bash

I dealt with that BS for years up until I had enough and removed the heads to get freshened-up and I installed the OE cam and a new set of lifters.
The car ran good but still always had the lean surge and sometimes shake, so I rebuilt the OE carb, it helped some:eyerole

For the looooonest time I've wanted to dump the computer controlled carb and dizy, years back I even purchased a used older Quadrajet > hopefully now I'll get to rebuilding it and us it with a simple GM HEI.:thumb

So my final question is...
if I just delete the OE carb and HEI, neatly tape and tuck the prior wires and plugs away, and LEAVE the computer as it is...will the computer still work the trany properly?
Thanks again, Ray

So my final question is...
if I just delete the OE carb and HEI, neatly tape and tuck the prior wires and plugs away, and LEAVE the computer as it is...will the computer still work the trany properly?
Thanks again, Ray

Yes I think it will. The CCC only picks up a engine temp signal and maybe a signal from the erg cant remember. But once the temps are at normal the CCC will allow the Trans lockup to function properly. You might get a constant check engine light without the 4 pin distr. hooked up but that shouldnt effect the tcc lock up. Maybe one of our more experianced 81 guys will chime in. Good luck

Thanks again...it sure would be a bummer to go through the change over and put the trany in drive and it just sits there :eek:hnoes :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom