Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Computer Prom info

like2drive

Corvette
1981 beige
I think I've found a source for a needed PROM, but they need the numbers off of my old PROM....which I can not provide because....
I have switched from automatic to Manual transmission. That 's the reason I need a new prom cause the PROM for the car w./Automatic trans is different from the PROM for a car w/a manual, 4speed trans.
So..the numbers off of my prom would not do any good. this prom causes excessive gas consumption.
OK. Will someone w/a 1981, stock four speed give me the numbers off of their PROM?? Please??
The numbers start w/519k followed by 13-+ other numbers . Will look something like: 519K 8028 2044 06630 or, 519K 8226 2044 06630 (mine for auto application)
ORRRR even better, does anyone know what these numbers mean so I can make up my own? How to decode.

This is asking a lot, .....but you'll have my eternal gratitude.:) jim

I've still have the original PROM from my 81 4 speed....will get it out tonight and post whatever numbers I can find on it.

My PROM was bad and I ended up getting one through Summit Racing as I could not find a factory one.

Later,
LannyL81

LannyL81

that's interesting that you got it from Summit. Was it a regular PROM for your computer, or was it something like Hypertech's computer chips.? I was going to go w/ Hypertech until they said I'd have to use 93 octane instead of my current 87. Also, their literature says the chip only affects performance at WOT...otherwords, does their chip perform the PROMs normal functions when NOT at WOT? thanks, jim

PROM number

the correct PROM number for the 81, four speed application is 1225434. Can buy from Standard Blue Streak for about $80/ got the correct number from the local chevy dealer....of all places! yjsmlrd. ko, (that is , thanks, jim....when your fingers are on the right keys.)

like2drive said:
that's interesting that you got it from Summit. Was it a regular PROM for your computer, or was it something like Hypertech's computer chips.? I was going to go w/ Hypertech until they said I'd have to use 93 octane instead of my current 87. Also, their literature says the chip only affects performance at WOT...otherwords, does their chip perform the PROMs normal functions when NOT at WOT? thanks, jim

Sorry Jim...never saw your question until today. Yes the PROM from Summit was a Hypertech. And from what I remember when I got it (4 years ago) the normal functions are the same...it is just supposed to offer improved performance at WOT. I was not interested in the performance part...I just needed a PROM to provide the normal functions. I still ran with 87 octane, until I rebuilt the engine and up'ed the compression ratio.

LannyL81

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom