Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

computer question

gsmi837

Corvette
2004 Z-06 Black on Black
I've had some AFR heads, comp cam, gears and some other mods done to my 04 Z-06 but no work was done on the processor. I've done lots of reading and heard everything under the sun! By the way, my vette runs like a raped ape when it's floored but the driveability issue sucks. Anyhow some people say take the processor out and get a programmed after market one, some say buy a hand held power tuner (Crane Cam seems to make a good one) I could sure use some expert imput on this issue. Come on you tuning experts let me know what is the best way to get my vette running great. Thanks, gsmi837

I'm sure you need some computer work, however not sure of all of the ins and outs. I know there are several folks with worked over Z's. You may want to PM Z06Tom. I think he is running a similar setup as yours. At any rate, I'm sure you will get some good information from the C5 guys.

Brett

Processor

Hey Brett, tanks for the info but what does PM Z06 mean? I'm not into computor lingo yet

A PM is a private message. You can send someone a PM by clicking on their screen name in a post, or you can click the forum tab at the top of the page and go to the search menu. From their type the subject or forum member's screen name into the search box. When the search is complete you will be able to click the desired screen name an then either send a standard e-mail through the address that the user has supplied Corvett Action Center or send them a Private Message through the forum.
Hope that helps.

Brett

gsmi837 said:
I've had some AFR heads, comp cam, gears and some other mods done to my 04 Z-06 but no work was done on the processor. I've done lots of reading and heard everything under the sun! By the way, my vette runs like a raped ape when it's floored but the driveability issue sucks. Anyhow some people say take the processor out and get a programmed after market one, some say buy a hand held power tuner (Crane Cam seems to make a good one) I could sure use some expert imput on this issue. Come on you tuning experts let me know what is the best way to get my vette running great. Thanks, gsmi837
You should get it dyno tuned by an experienced tuner. It sounds like you have the common idle problems and possibly some surging. You will be surprised how much power you are leaving on the table. You will be alot happier about drivability for sure. I was in the same boat not long ago. Hand helds cannot get you the in depth calibration you need. Been there done that. You need someone that has software like EFILive or LS1edit with a dyno. HP Tuners is also pretty good ask ZO6Tom. Good luck!
Todd

gsmi837,
The CAC's server keeps information like individual emails secure. The only way to email Z06Tom is to pull up his Member Profile, and scroll down to a link that says "send an email to Z06Tom" on the page.

-Patrick

gsmi837 said:
You definitely do not need to send the PCM out, but tuning you really do need with it in the car. Although the car may go like a raped ape, you will be stunned how it goes with actual tuning. I recommend a dyno tune. It is the only way to get it absolutely correct. I know I said this above, but just to reinerate lol! You will see a big difference at idle, no stalling or bucking.

How'd I miss this thread? gsmi837 you need to get your Z to a good tuner and have it dyno tuned. With all the work you've done (especially head work) your fuel trims are probably all out of whack. As the others have stated, I bet you're leaving 20 or 30 rwhp on the table, not to mention the drivability issues... Let us know how you come out.
­

I don't know how far this is from you but I would work with this gentlemen in california:

Among the best!

A&A Corvette Performance
477-A LAMBERT STREET
OXNARD, CA 93036
805-278-4107 or 888-VETTEPRO
805-278-4108 (FAX)
email: Andy@AandACorvette.com

HP Tuners is the best IMO....Just find a reputable shop to do it...
You will be amazed the difference after a tune.
Just my .02

Jack

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom