Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Computer Torque Management .Can someone explain please ?

• Thread starter Rumpity rumpity rump....
  • Start date
R

Rumpity rumpity rump....

Could someone please explain how GM incorporates this into the car and why ? Also, when you take your C6 for a Dyno Tune, how do they eliminate TM from the computer and is it a noticable increase in power ? Does TM apply to both auto and manual trans. Vettes ? Thanks.

Torque managment is just that...using the engine controls to manage the engine's torque output.

Typically, but not universially, torque management is used with automatic transmissions to monentarily reduce the engine's torque output at shifts to improve reliability/durabiilty of the transmission's clutch plates and driveline components.

Torque management is also used in some manual trans applications but often it's not used in the same manner or timing as in automatics.

You eliminate torque managment by reprogramming.

It may or may not be a noticeable change in power.

Disabling the TM on the 08's is a massive change on the Manual 6spd cars.

Torque managed must mean either ignition curve or fuel pressure squeezes the pounds down via the ECM and shaft spin to wheel to crank. Once you disable, it might revert to a code or say a whole new map being a quote, "limp mode" but I doubt it.

Seeing, that you say it becomes a whole new animal. It must change to zero loss of ignition retard and or fuel loss or both.

I may have stumped Hib, but who knows.... ;help

Torque Management , according to my recent DynoTuner, only comes into play at a shift . Im told it helps protect the driveline in case a hard shift is deliberately made by the Driver.

Torque managed must mean either ignition curve or fuel pressure squeezes the pounds down via the ECM and shaft spin to wheel to crank. Once you disable, it might revert to a code or say a whole new map being a quote, "limp mode" but I doubt it.

Seeing, that you say it becomes a whole new animal. It must change to zero loss of ignition retard and or fuel loss or both.

I may have stumped Hib, but who knows.... ;help

This is correct. One can disable it completely or just make it less sensitive. It is intended to "protect" the drive train but IMHO, inhibits the car from doing what it was intended to do. I'd guess its all about warranty claims for GM.

HI there.
Torque management is for much more than just driveline protection.
Its there to stop unsettling the chassis during aggressive maneuvers from abrupt throttle response, wheel hop under hard acceleration.
It takes into account yaw rate and lateral accelerometer when determining when to intervene also.
Fact is, perceptable warranty claims from torque shock through the drivelines havent really changed much and since 1996 have been marginally lowering every year.
Allthebest, c4c5

Makes sense. I can tell you this, the car in stock trim/tune is overwhelmed with TM programming and is a completely different car by lessening it's effects.

With regards to "yaw rate and lateral accelerometer" how does TM work on this? I'd think that would be controlled by the TC system more than TM.

I think, Jimmy, they might reuse the same principal with the first year throttle (TPS) performance on the fly. By a flip of a switch: You can feel the stepper motor push the throttle pedal back up being that initial TPS feed is first signal to the torque management. Kind of like using the same old stand-by is my guess on the telemetry scale if say; the ECM is going to set the torque minimum input is max'd for best performance.

The tricky stuff is all that computer mapping and ignition curve you can no longer control. Even if you hack the program, (unplug the stepper motor wire is the stepper unlocks the free torque) you still are stuck with the, "backup' or 'fail-safe' pre-programmed code set. ;shrug

Makes you want to throw your hands up and just crate motor the glass job, throw in an HEI distributor, gas an 850cfm Holly 4 barrel, then have at your own ring and pinion; sans the U-Joints being squeezed out of their cages... The car still has more HP than I can drive.

HI there,
Both systems are on the CAN communications lines. PCM< TCM <ABS/TCS/AH< F55 if equipped.
They must accurate compensate during driving to attempt to keep the vehicle as stable as possible in all driving conditions, cornering, braking, acceleration.
This is why they are CONSTANTLY talking to each other, keeping the vehicle as stable as possible.
Allthebest, c4c5

I had LG motorsport tune my car and they said they desensitized it but it is still very obtrusive. It hesitates big time from a dead stop but @ 10 mph will take off spinning the tires effortlessly. If this car were ran at the track it might cut a 2.2 60'. But the LS3 is a monster this car runs great.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom