Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

COMTRON electronic ignition ?

G

Gunther

Hi
I received a COMTRON electronic ignition kit from a friend who owned it unused for many, many years still in it's original box.
It's a 12TN 12 Volts neg ground kit from STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS.
It consists of a coil, electronic box, resistor and wiring.
No points delete gadget with it.
What is it, what's the output voltage, can I use it with a points delete system, does it improove my stock single point ignition system of my 68 big block Vette ?
Tried to contact STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS by E-mail, but didn't receive any answer.
Thnaks for all adises.
Gunther

Gunther said:
...for many, many years

Gunther, anything that's years old nowadays, or even days old sometimes, is out-moded technology. Technology advances by leaps and bounds, so there are many more products out there to increase your ignition capabilities than a decades-old unit such as you describe.

New and old

I'm with Z-51 on this. Nostalgia's cool, but not when it comes to electronics. Get a conversion kit from Pertronix. Part number #1811.--Bullitt

Thanks for all,
More or less what I thought.
I will go for a nice PERTRONIX point delete system with possibly a MSD coil.
Got a few more projects for this winter to do beside getting writ of this stupid points.
I guess the only way to get this COMTRON kit to be used by somebody is to put it onto EBAY. Looks like everything can be sold.
Gunther

Gunther said:
I guess the only way to get this COMTRON kit to be used by somebody is to...

...relegate it to a museum of electronics history. ;)

Gunther said:
...I will go for a nice PERTRONIX point delete system with possibly a MSD coil...
Gunther,
Pertronix also sells a 40,000 volt coil that they call a Flamethrower. As for the Pert Ignitor, they recently began selling the Ignitor II. It doesn't cost a whole lot more than the original Ignitor but, obviously, it's supposed to be better though I haven't heard any comments on it yet.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom