Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

CONFUSED OVER PRICES

V

vern329

We have been looking for some time now for our first vette. Our dream car would be an EB or LB vert. / 6 manual / tan or shale interior / low miler / one owner preferrable. Not a lot to chose from especially out west, not sure why. We finally find an 03 with 10K on it with a tag of $37K. Then two 04 CE's show up with everything we want for $ 37 & $44. Are these prices too much?The prices are all over the map!
Have been seeing & hearing that the dealers have been dropping their prices on new C6's that the C5's are taking a big hit.
Another forum member threaded in with these numbers:
2002 - $30-33K
2003 - $33-35K
2004 - $35-37K as going prices.

Appreciate anyone's thoughts

prices....

Well, I am certainly no authority, but my thoughts are:
Yes, the prices are a little hard to pin down. Mileage and condition influence prices. A low mileage mint 2002 for example may be more than a higher mileage slightly less well presented 2003. Also, be careful what you compare. The 2003 Anniversary model (if it is one) was heavily loaded and cost about $5000 more and commands about $2500 more now versus a standard model.

The April Corvette Magazine issue had their C5 market report which was pretty informative. Try to get your hands on one if you have not already. Though the prices are in US bucks, the theories and ratios apply up here. The Ontario autotrader site shows 104 C5's listed and prices don't necessarily line up by year, but more on mileage, condition, model, options and just how much the owner wants out!

I think there are lots of good C5's out there, and the more you hunt the more you will know and hey, the thrill is in the hunt. A C5 owner who does not sell now will probably have to sell for less in only a few months. As to whether C6's are affecting C5's?....sure.
Here's the Ontario link in case you want more selection or just want to compare...could always fly out and drive back:
http://www.trader.ca/search/Results...=48&mknm=698&mdnm=CORVETTE&subcategory=&CAT=1

Don't settle for a C5 with any issues....there are good ones out there.
RG

Thanks for the info & excellant advice. Will really try to be patient like you said , for the right one.

appreciate your time & thoughts

Price 's

Hi

Today it's very hard to pin down what should be the right price for a late C5 because there are so many different things that can alter the price.

The two most important things to remember is to only purchase a late C5 with a GM warranty or an extended GM warranty only. This will take away the unknown factor of mechanical problems that can come out after taking your new vette home.

Also l would keep away from modded vets unless it was done and documented by known shops. I'm not talking about exhausts, cold intakes and minor upgrades.

You also have to make sure that the vette wasn't modded and then returned to stock. If the vette doesn't have the orig tires pass or know at least that it has been driven at least 20,000 miles or driven hard.

Make sure you have a Vin report and fully understand it. Carfax is ok but only Ok and it will not show accidents under $3000 or if an accident happened within 3/6 months.

The CE Edition has a great color scheme and that's it, they made too many of them to be special.

The difference between the 02/04 is not important enough to pay any more for each until the condition and miles and if a warranty form GM is inplace. It only costs $35 to transfer it.

Low mileage should be under 12,000 miles and no blems on the interior (seats included) and exterior.

Watch the color you select because to touch up a metallic paint is impossible to say the least. I have found that Torch red is the easiest color to touch up using OEM lacquer paint and thinning it out with Lanka.

Don't think of buying a vette unless you have it checked out by a person who knows what they are doing.

For a C5 vert, to pay over $33,000 for any year if maddness in the condition that you want. For some reason the C5's are holding their values better then the C6's, percentage wise.

Good Luck

Alan

For some reason the C5's are holding their values
One of the GREATEST vetts made especially the HARDTOPS ZO6

The C6 looks are only for few not for all......

Corvette Black Book

Alan makes some very good points. May I suggest you also pick up a copy of the Corvette Black Book" by Mike Antonick. This will guide you through the models, options and changes for the C5 1997 through 2004. It is a very handy and interesting guide and very helpful for a buyer and enthusiast. It is an inexpensive paperback detailing Vettes from 53 to the present.
RG

...May I suggest you also pick up a copy of the Corvette Black Book" by Mike Antonick. This will guide you through the models, options and changes for the C5 1997 through 2004. It is a very handy and interesting guide and very helpful for a buyer and enthusiast. It is an inexpensive paperback detailing Vettes from 53 to the present.
RG

RG,
I haven't seen a copy of "The Corvette Black Book," but I have found the CAC's Model Center to be quite informative and helpful in understanding when certain options and packages were introduced, as well as the final production stats for each year of Corvette.

Just another feature about the Corvette Action Center we're quite proud of.
:)

-Patrick

Real World values !!!!!!!!!!!

By the time a book is published it's outdated because there are so many things that effect price's not to mention the different regions of the country.

In different regions a color can determine a higher price as well as a hardtop and a vert.

Your 100% right by following the vettes offered for sale on CAC and more important local papers will give you what is happening in ones own locale.

But again a vette is like a finger print they are all different and that there are too many varibles that determine price.

Alan

Hi RG,
Again I appreciate yours & the others who have responded. As a matter of fact I just picked up my copy of the Black Book but like Patrick mentioned there are still many variables. Good point on the CE's but man I love the whole combination! If I could find a vette / 6 speed / low miler in fabulous condition at a price of $33k like Alan mentioned I'd be on a plane to buy!

Luv this forum,
Thanks Guys

They are out there!

The problem is that you have to find them. Be patient and you will find one.

One more thing if you find one that is too far for you to look at, ask one of us to first take a peek because digital pic's hide a lot of blemishes for sure.

Alan

ps Before you even take a look ask here for a vin # report.

Alan,
Man thanks for that offer, what an awesome idea!!!!! VIN # for sure.
Very much appreciated.
Vern

ps My wife says I'm spending so much time on this & just buy one!!

The hunt is 50% of the fun!

That's right the hunt really gets your juices going. It's like a hunted stalking his prey.

And then once you get it, the first thing you will do is buy some doodads for it until you just about get it right.

Where have you been looking?

Alan

tried looking in the USA?

Vern,
A couple of years ago cars in the USA were more expensive than in Canada and thus numerous Americans were up here buying vehicles. However, with the rapid appreciation of the Canuck buck and our very strong economy, new and used vehicles by comparison are more expensive here and in some cases quite a bit more.

As you are in Kelowna (nice place!) and since you stated in your first post that there was not a lot to choose from out west, then why don't you consider buying one in the states, perhaps on the coast.....you might save a bundle and bringing it into Canada and registering it is a pretty simple bit of paperwork with Canada Customs. Lots of people do it daily. I am sure there would be a terrific selection out there.

Try not to buy one from an American politician if you can help it as they don't like Canadians and would probably try to rip you off...they prefer their best friends the Saudis..George and his dad have great pals there ...No, I'd buy one from a normal American citizen as they are quite nice people in general and similar to us....at least they don't say bad things about you all the time even if they think it.;) And speaking of politicians, watch out for our own guys as well; we know how good they are at ripping people off.
Good luck and enjoy the hunt.......don't listen to your wife (do we ever?)...take your time and you'll both be happier afterwards.
RG

Vern,
A couple of years ago cars in the USA were more expensive than in Canada and thus numerous Americans were up here buying vehicles. However, with the rapid appreciation of the Canuck buck and our very strong economy, new and used vehicles by comparison are more expensive here and in some cases quite a bit more.

As you are in Kelowna (nice place!) and since you stated in your first post that there was not a lot to choose from out west, then why don't you consider buying one in the states, perhaps on the coast.....you might save a bundle and bringing it into Canada and registering it is a pretty simple bit of paperwork with Canada Customs. Lots of people do it daily. I am sure there would be a terrific selection out there.

Try not to buy one from an American politician if you can help it as they don't like Canadians and would probably try to rip you off...they prefer their best friends the Saudis..George and his dad have great pals there ...No, I'd buy one from a normal American citizen as they are quite nice people in general and similar to us....at least they don't say bad things about you all the time even if they think it.;) And speaking of politicians, watch out for our own guys as well; we know how good they are at ripping people off.
Good luck and enjoy the hunt.......don't listen to your wife (do we ever?)...take your time and you'll both be happier afterwards.
RG

Hi RG,
Thanks for your response. I am very well aware of the difference in the dollar & aware of the CA prices & customs paper work. Out west? I meant west North America being this was posted on a US based forum. That is why I have been concentrating on finding our dream car south of the border, out west. Thus far, I have had great responses & advice from other vette owners
Thanks for your caution on the US politician, but not sure I get what you mean. Don’t like Canucks!???? Don’t get that. Saudis / George / Dad? ok I get the politics but sorry, I don’t see the relationship. I just want to buy an awesome car from an honest person & truly believe that this totally possible because there are a lot more out there than just me!
You say,” And speaking of politicians, watch out for our own guys as well; we know how good they are at ripping people off.” Strong words but you are right, there is always someone, not matter what side of any border, trying to take advantage. Up to me to do my homework & to rely on my best judgment on trust & buying what I perceive is true.

Ps This is OUR dream car (me & my wife’s) to enjoy together, so her opinion to me is important. I just frustrate her a bit that I do TOO MUCH research. Still looking for the right 00-04 / vert / 6 sp

RG, appreciate your thoughts,
Vern

USA and Canda and C5's and C6's and a tongue in cheek....

Just a little tongue in cheek humour on the political front that last post......don't take me too seriously....I don't and no one else does.....:eyerole No offence meant to anyone except the politicians......

I know you are looking for a dream Vette.
I spent a long time looking for my vette and my wfe and some of my buds often said "just buy something will ya"! But, I listened and read and poked around and my point to you was no matter what others say, be patient and learn about the different kinds of C5's, the options and the price points and then be cautious making the actual purchase by inspecting and verifying. I think you are going about it the right way......just don't get pushed or exited and rush into perhaps the wrong car....that's all I meant.

On the other hand, used Vettes are not expensive......a decent new pickup costs more so perhaps we Vette people get a little too carried away with these things.......

By the way, I quite like the 2003 Anniversary roadster model package with its shale interior, lovely colour, bits of jewelry and great options.....a little pricey and tons were made so don't think collecter, but just a nice nice looking and packaged Vette....I've seen quite a few out here for sale.

Vern, have you thought C6? No, really, the 2007's are out and the C6 2005's are dropping fast in price. The C5 is a fabulours car, but the C6 in my opinion is better proportioned with a much better interior by far, 50 more hp and better ride and handling. You can't beat new technology and engineering. Just like the C5 was advanced (except interior and perhaps appearance) over the C4 the C6 is a step ahead and you may be surprised comparing the price of a C6 2005 to a C5 2003 or 2004.......for sure drive a C6 first before you score that C5......you may be happy you did......If I sold my LT4 which I love dearly, I would go straight to a C6 or be really really patient and wait to see the C7 one day!
RG

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom