Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Considering a DeWhitt radiator.

billyvette

Corvette
78 s/a paint with oyster leather l82 auto
Considering a Dewitt radiator. Progress Update.

It's been awhile since I posted here. I'm considering a new radiator for my 78 vette since it tries to overheat during the summer with the air conditioning running. If you have replaced a vette radiator, please leave your experiences both good and bad. I have read several threads about how bad this job is similar to the heater core replacement when considering the aggravation factor. How many of you removed your hood? does it provide better access?

Those of you who have bit the bullet and purchased the dewhitt radiator, are you happy with your purchase?

My car is basically stock with true dual exhaust, but I plan on a 350 to 400 hp small block down the road.

Should I purchase the seal kit that goes around the radiator that vendors sell? My original seals are long gone, as typical with a car this old.

Thanks for your replies.

It's been awhile since I posted here. I'm considering a new radiator for my 78 vette since it tries to overheat during the summer with the air conditioning running. If you have replaced a vette radiator, please leave your experiences both good and bad. I have read several threads about how bad this job is similar to the heater core replacement when considering the aggravation factor. How many of you removed your hood? does it provide better access?

Those of you who have bit the bullet and purchased the dewhitt radiator, are you happy with your purchase?

My car is basically stock with true dual exhaust, but I plan on a 350 to 400 hp small block down the road.

Should I purchase the seal kit that goes around the radiator that vendors sell? My original seals are long gone, as typical with a car this old.

Thanks for your replies.

I replaced my radiator with the deWitt. I didn't go for the expensive aluminum version, which is fine because the brass variety works great. With the scorching summer heat here in MD, my engine has never even come close to overheating... I've overheated personally sitting in the Vette--- but not the engine!

Aluminum........

Brand name aftermarket, Be Cool, Dewitt, etc. will all make a big difference. Do your homework, some have direct replacements, no fuss, no muss. Remove the old, drop in the new. I have a bored high compression 327 in my 62 and nothing made the difference like the aluminum Be Cool did. I have an added core big tube that cost me $450 with 100 miles on it, swapped it out for aluminum, problem solved.;)

Does dewitt offer any type of forum member discount?

Does dewitt offer any type of forum member discount?

I'm not sure, but I received a private message here in the CAC from Tom deWitt when I was looking for a radiator.

I went with Dewitt & dual electric fans as a unit.Bolts right in.Saves weight,lessens overheating,frees up a little extra HP since it requires no belt:upthumbs

Tom DeWitt is a standup guy, great vendor, excellent product. Aluminum is the way to go.

Yes take off the hood.

Fan shroud can be a pain depending upon your year you might have to move the uppear A-Arm out of the way on the passenger side.

Radiator removal is nowhere near as much of a pain as heater core. It's not the easiest job but heater core is a whole other category and degree of pain.

Dual Spal fans work great, gets fan shroud out of the way, and gives you easier access to the accessories for future work.

If you keep the original shroud and fan make sure you get the replacement foam seals to ensure the air flow goes through the radiator and not around it.

Give Tom a call and talk to him.

Good luck.

Whiplash

Radiators...DeWitt's is about the best stuff going in the market right now for Vettes which are stock or near stock.

Electric fan conversions--Spal is the best stuff, bar none.

But....as to the lead-off post in this thread--I'd make sure the running hot or overheating problem is truly the radiator before I'd buy a new core. Sometimes you R&R radiator to find it wasn't the problem to begin with.

I've had the radiator and core support out of my '78 AC car four times fixing up the car than tracking down rad. leaks so at this point I can do it in my sleep. If I NEVER have to do it again I'll be very happy because it's a PITA!

MUCH, MUCH easier if you remove the hood first. just be sure to scribe a line to mark proper placement on the hinges before you unbolt them.

My process on removal was this:

1. remove hood

2. remove top airduct from top of radiator

3. drain coolant from system

4. Unbolt the radiator mounting brackets on top of radiator from the core support and unscrew the fan shround from the brakets. Remove the brackets and lean the fan shroud on top of the fan blade.

5. unhook lower rad hose (if you have an auto trans you also need to unhook the trans cooler lines to the radiator. it's easiest to leave the rubber hoses connected to the rad and disconnect them from the hardlines on the frame). Unhook the upper rad hose

6. loosen the core support - 3 bolts on each side in the wheelwells. remove the top two bolts on each side but leave in the lower bolt on each side

7. push the entire core support forward as much as possible to give you some room - it won't go too far before the AC condensor hits against the headlight vacuum cannisters but that little bit of extra room is needed.

8. carefully lift and work the radiator out. The hard part is getting the lower radiator hose housing past the suspension A-Arms. it may fight you but eventually you can work it to lift the radiator out

installation of a DeWitts Direct Replacement radiator will be the reverse of the removal procedure.
DeWitts is the way to go for the best quality radiator you can get for your Corvette.

DEFINITELY get new radiator seals to put in to replace the old ones when you install the new radiator. I got mine from Dr. Rebuild

I used to overheat no matter how I was driving. I replaced my radiator with a DeWitt's and all of my over heating problems went away. I drove across Texas in July with the AC on and my temp never broke 200. I kept the original fan and clutch.

I did not remove the hood. I removed the fan to get the shroud out. Shroud removal was not too hard, but it does take 2 people to help wiggle it in/out.

The DeWitt's is pricey, but worth every penny. It requires absolutely no modification. All of the stock hoses work.

Good Luck!

Thanks for all the replies, as usual you get what you pay for.
I think a new radiator will solve my problems. The car runs cool as long as the AC is not
on during our hot months of May through September.

I used to overheat with my '77.The way I solved most of that issue was by addiing Redline Water Wetter. -I think Royal Purple has Purple Ice,which I havent used. Redlines' is quite good--like they state,it did drop the temp around 30*! Another very helpful vette part you should really get,if you dont already have it, is that spoiler that belongs under the front.It is a major factor in directing cool air into & thru the radiator!-If I hadnt been hit head-on & had my 77 go to C3RVETTE Heaven,I wouldve eventually got an aluminum radiator for it, electric fans or not. I didnt really get much overheating with the '79 I have now,but switched anyway,in anticipation of a crate engine swap down the road:w

Just to update, the dewitt has been ordered A77A, a new temp sending unit, and a seal kit from dr. rebuild. Hopefully this will fix my cooling issues this summer. Thanks for all the replies.

I feel special Hib Halverson responded on my thread, thank you. My brush with a corvette celebrity, Hib Halverson, that made my day.

Update

New radiator is now in, with almost all hoses reconnected.
Just have to refill with new 50/50 prestone mix and install the new thermostat along with a new fan clutch.
How much tranny oil was in the old radiator tranny cooler? Just wondering how much I will need to add back.

Very impressed with the radiator and the quality parts coming from doc rebuild, I highly recommend both.:upthumbs

Just as a side note I left much of the cardboard packing around the radiator until it was in place between the condenser and the rad. shroud for protection during install.

Thanks, Barry K for your detailed write up. I printed your post and used it as a guide on this project.

Hopefully I will not have any leaks and can cruise with the a/c on this summer without any problems.

Congrats on the new radiator.
I don't know how much fluid was in the old transmission cooler.
I do recommend re-tightening the clamps you use on the transmission lines.
Mine came loose after a few weeks and i was spewing transmission fluid all over the place.

Good Luck!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom