Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Considering upgrade from 427/400 to either 502 or zz572 "recommendations"

jims427400

Corvette
67 427 tripower,68 427 tripower,04 Z16, 62 340hp
I've not been successful getting my numbers matching 427 tripower running to were it should be,and through previous threads,others have recommended converting to a crate and saving the original(well maybe on original) I dont want to go there.If I upgrade to a 502 or a zz572 what is involved?New trans,driveshaft,rearend? I'd like to keep this as simple as possible becuase I'd like to try to do most of the work myself.. Any pearles would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ..Jim

If you go 502, you'll need electric fuel pump and special clutch boss bracket. Transmission, driveshaft, rear end do not have to be changed.

I cant rememmember what your running.And can you tell me what the clutch boss bracket involves. Jim

Also on either 502 or the 572 do they require any modifications to the engine mounts.

I just got the 572/620 in my '59 project fired up for the first time this week. 572 is a tall block, about 0.4" taller than 502 which makes finding aftermarket intake manifolds harder unless you use spacers. 572 also comes with high rise (sort of) intake manifold. 572 also has mechanical fuel pump boss. 572 does have clutch pivot holes. If you are going to do much street driving the 502 is probably more "user friendly".
Charles

I am not sure if your dead set on the 502,but the GM 454HO performance crate motor should be a dead on excact replacement for you.it comes oil pan to manifold, you should be able to re use your excisting distributor (unless you think that may be causing your problems) I paid just under 5 grand for mine.

Well done

cbernhardt said:
I just got the 572/620 in my '59 project fired up for the first time this week. 572 is a tall block, about 0.4" taller than 502 which makes finding aftermarket intake manifolds harder unless you use spacers. 572 also comes with high rise (sort of) intake manifold. 572 also has mechanical fuel pump boss. 572 does have clutch pivot holes. If you are going to do much street driving the 502 is probably more "user friendly".
Charles

Charles,

Congrats on your first engine start. I am a long way from going through the same experience, but still looking forward to it.

Any chance you would like to elaborate on how it all went, in a different post naturally so as not to hijack this one.

Stepinwolf

IH2LOSE,
You make a good point,I dont want to change my hood at all,so keeping everything dimensionaly the same is best route for me.And at 5 grand,thats better than 12,although 67's 502 sounds awsome to and he still runs stock hood.
On a different note,we also have something in common,my wife and I also have a 67 Deville convert.Ours is red w/white top and leather interior.This car has been in our family since new.Only 30k miles and totally original.Hasnt seen rain or snow for 25-30 yrs. Too bad caddies dont have the same value as an identicle vette.Oh ya my daughters also have plans for it in thier weddings..Thanks again Jim

Heh Jim,
Here's 2 shots of my 502 sitting in my 65 using a stock 66 BB hood . Now I had to do some fa-nag-a-ling to get the hood to clear by 1/8" using that air cleaner top. I was running a flat chrome unit that gave me 1/4 " Clearence but wanted more air flow.

Buy rasing and loweing the drop base I was able to come up with the clearence needed. I'm sure with a 502 in your 67 with a Stinger hood and using a drop base air cleaner...you should have clearence.

More Hood To Air Cleaner Top Clearence But Less Air Flow
502m.jpg

502mb.jpg

This Is The Air Cleaner Top I'm Using Now Only 1/8" Clearence
502mc.jpg

VNV,
Great shots.I think the 502 is the way I'm prob.going to go.I've found many sites that sell crates.Any recomendations as far as where you all got your motors.Jim

jims427400 said:
VNV,
Great shots.I think the 502 is the way I'm prob.going to go.I've found many sites that sell crates.Any recomendations as far as where you all got your motors.Jim

I was directed to Performance Buick & Pontiac In Chesapeake Virginia. Bill Bradley was the one who suggested calling his friend Mike. I spoke to Mike who is the General Manager of the operation. I think That's his title. Mike has every diploma That GM has to offer for Automotive Technology. He has been to every school GM has.... ANd Has a Rocken Midyear Vert. In other words...He knows his Suff..!!!

Mike also did the oil pump pickup mod (Shorter Pick Up Tube) and oil pan change over for me. He also welded the oil pick up tube on the Pump as most are just pressed in. The 502 comes with a 7 Quqrt pan or is it six...??? Anyway I had it changed to the street oil pan.

Mike even took pic's of the motor and inspected the inside's. I know that the Dealers do not make a lot of money on the motors..but I would suggest you call him and Mention My name Mark Richman From Atlantic City NJ.

He might be able to give you a goood price....But more importantly... Your motor will be in good hands.. Give him a call..... 757 488 3500

Here are some pic's of the motor and me picking it up a week later...me is on the left...:D

zz502a.jpg

zz502b.jpg

zz502c.jpg

zz502d.jpg

zz502e.jpg

zz502f.jpg

Mike is also on my list to call on monday as well.Hope he can deliver to Ohio.Great picks.Some day I'll figure how to include photos on my threads.Have tried before but will have to get my kids to help w/ that.Keep you all posted.

stepinwolf said:
Charles,

Congrats on your first engine start. I am a long way from going through the same experience, but still looking forward to it.

Any chance you would like to elaborate on how it all went, in a different post naturally so as not to hijack this one.

Stepinwolf
Stepinwolf:

I had a few minor problems with my motor that I will post on my web site in a week or so. You can check it out at: http://www.carols62.com/59
Look at the October, 2005 page for some more information.
Charles

cbernhardt said:
Stepinwolf:

I had a few minor problems with my motor that I will post on my web site in a week or so. You can check it out at: http://www.carols62.com/59
Look at the October, 2005 page for some more information.
Charles

Just read the Oct 2005 Web Post. It's a good thing you checked before you leaped..!! Before I fired my 502 I primed the motor and had the Valve covers off. It took for ever to get the oil to come out of the push rod holes. Of course I was using an old drill that was smoken and stinken up the Gee-Rage.

Just barely hed enough rpm to do the gig. But Luckily..I didn't have any mechanical problems like you did.... The only peoblem I had was a short circuit internally inside of the holley fuel pump oil pressure switch....which caused the SS oil pressure line to conduct battery voltage....turn red and start smoking. As it were ...KId_Again and John Lollie were here and caught the the problem and waved me off and prevented a Crash Landing...!!!

:L

:beer

Viet Nam Vett said:
...The only peoblem I had was a short circuit internally inside of the holley fuel pump oil pressure switch....which caused the SS oil pressure line to conduct battery voltage....turn red and start smoking.
I thought I was the only one that experienced weird stuff like that!
Charles

cbernhardt said:
I thought I was the only one that experienced weird stuff like that!
Charles

Negitive Charles.. As long as you own a Vette you are subject to the Weird Stuff...:D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom