Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Considering upgrade from 427/400 to either 502 or zz572 "recommendations"

Viet Nam Vett said:
Just read the Oct 2005 Web Post. It's a good thing you checked before you leaped..!! Before I fired my 502 I primed the motor and had the Valve covers off. It took for ever to get the oil to come out of the push rod holes. Of course I was using an old drill that was smoken and stinken up the Gee-Rage.

Just barely hed enough rpm to do the gig. But Luckily..I didn't have any mechanical problems like you did.... The only peoblem I had was a short circuit internally inside of the holley fuel pump oil pressure switch....which caused the SS oil pressure line to conduct battery voltage....turn red and start smoking. As it were ...KId_Again and John Lollie were here and caught the the problem and waved me off and prevented a Crash Landing...!!!

:L

:beer

My fingers are still blistered.:W Imagine my surprise when the braiding on an oil line turned red in my hands. WHAT was that smell????? Never a dull moment. The next time we fired it up, I touched NOTHING.

jims427400 said:
I've not been successful getting my numbers matching 427 tripower running to were it should be,and through previous threads,others have recommended converting to a crate and saving the original(well maybe on original) I dont want to go there.If I upgrade to a 502 or a zz572 what is involved?New trans,driveshaft,rearend? I'd like to keep this as simple as possible becuase I'd like to try to do most of the work myself.. Any pearles would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ..Jim

If you haven't already made up your mind you might consider a 540. You get massive power and the block will bolt in with no mods. Only problem is lots of power can shred stock driveline parts if you put slicks or big grippy tires on. I absolutely love my 540 and would do it again in a heartbeat. Check www.shafiroff.com for some ideas.

Best regards,
Gerry

Gerry said:
If you haven't already made up your mind you might consider a 540. You get massive power and the block will bolt in with no mods. Only problem is lots of power can shred stock driveline parts if you put slicks or big grippy tires on. I absolutely love my 540 and would do it again in a heartbeat. Check www.shafiroff.com for some ideas.

Best regards,
Gerry

I agree, I'm suprised nobody's mentioned the 540 earlier. Stock 427 9.8" deck height, heads, intake, fuel pump location, valve covers etc. Ultimate BBC sleeper. Even with the World or Dart block you can still get into it for less $ than most crates offering similar performance.

jims427400 said:
VNV,
Great shots.I think the 502 is the way I'm prob.going to go.I've found many sites that sell crates.Any recomendations as far as where you all got your motors.Jim

My best advice is to go to your local chevy dealer and ask them a price,if it too high compaired to the prices you see on line or at summit. ask them to do a search of other dealers with in 100 miles of you to see who stocks them.Normally the folks who stock them sell them at the same prices as the online guys. this is how I found my motor.

I purchased mine from Ramp Chevrolet in port jefferson Long Island NY but I would think there has to be a stocking dealer with in driving range.The shipping of the motor from the discounting guys to you may offset the savings.

Good luck with your purchase

Viking427 said:
I agree, I'm suprised nobody's mentioned the 540 earlier. Stock 427 9.8" deck height, heads, intake, fuel pump location, valve covers etc. Ultimate BBC sleeper. Even with the World or Dart block you can still get into it for less $ than most crates offering similar performance.

I agree with the ultimate sleeper as long as you don't hear it running ;) and you have to use the orange valve covers cause the ones you get with the engine squeal on the 540. Unfortunately, the DART PRO 1 heads have raised exhaust ports (.300") but everything else was fine. I used the Merlin block which was highly recommended. BTW, Shafiroff told me I could whack it with a 250 shot of NOS and it wouldn't hurt it at all :crazy . Let's see 695 HP + 250 HP = A whole lot of Trouble with a capitol T :D .

Gerry

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom