Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Conv. Top Window Un-glued

I haven't faced this problem yet, but I've used 3M Windoweld in similar circumstances. It's used for holding in windshields, so it's strong and flexible. I used it to build new motor mounts a few years ago, and they're still working! The stuff is black, so if your top is also black, it will be invisible unless you are extremely sloppy in your repair.

with all the big dollar amounts being thrown around to replace a top, how hard can it be to buy the top and install it yourself?? Any experiences?

I used 3M #08609 Window-Weld Super Fast Urethane and 3M #08682
Single step primer. Be sure to clean the edges of the glass where it contacts the top and apply a thin coat of the primer, it helps the urethane to adhere to the glass. I used this on both my C4 and C5 and it is a permanent fix.

I used two-part epoxy. Clean the glass well. Unlatch the top and prop with a stick ( slack). Acquire two broom - stick type sticks to prop against the glass inside and against the floor to brace the window tight against the cloth. I may have put some weight on the outside just above the glass to help apply opposing pressure. It's been about a year and held at 150 mph. No sense in buying a new top.

This is apparently becoming something of a common issue among C5 Convertible owners. 6-Shooter posted a very useful thread on this subject, which we've stuck as a resource in the C5 Technical and Performance Forum.

Take a look HERE. It may be of some help.

:w
-Patrick

I used this system a few years ago and it worked like a charm, and it is still holding like new. For a few bucks you can have it completed overnite and be up and running in no time. Just pay attention to the thread and do it step by step. Thanks to Shooter, and then Patrick for reminding us of the thread.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom