Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Conversion to power brakes

K

Kap142

Has anyone out there done a a conversion to power brakes on a 72 that had manual brakes?

My questions are:

1) do new holes need drilled for the booster to mount to the firewall and is a reinforcing plate needed?

2) does the brake pedal assembly need changed to accept the different position of the booster?

Have been told it's an easy up grade but really don't want to put new holes in my old girl.

:confused :confused :confused :confused

Mounting the booster will require drilling a new hole in the firewall where the clevis rod comes out (lower on a PB car). You will also have to drill two more holes in your pedal bracket and drill out the weld nuts for the studs that are on the booster. You will need a new brake switch bracket and master cylinder. I think Zips and a few others carry a kit to do this conversion.

KAP -- Get the '72 AIM and study the J50 power brake option diagrams of the factory installation. The AIM will show you what you need to do and list the original part numbers of what you're going to need. It will also have a page giving the hole location and size for the hole in the cowl.

:)

OK I shall

I have my AIM open as we speak. A picture helps bunches. Think I'll also look into a package deals that Zips might have. Thanks very much guys.

Ken:)

Got one coming

Thanks for the advise guys. have hooked up with Corvette Central and now have a full kit on it's way. I like the totality of the package. Spoke to the tech guys with Corvette Central and am just waiting the arrival. I'll let ya'll know if the results are what I imagined. Project sounds very much within my ability and desires. I am looking forward to the pleasure of PB.

Ken

:eek:hnoes

So far........

Not bad.

Corvette Central supplied the package but not the first word of instructions..... Silly me what was I thinking? Ok have drilled a couple of holes (like that didn't kill me) and it appears I'm ready to mount the booster. But brothers and sisters let me tell you, their ain't poop for room to work under the dash. Has anyone other then me actually ever got crazy and done this?

If it weren't for my AIM book I'd be "T" totally lost.

Gonna have to go hire a little bitty dude (or better yet a little bitty cutie pie) to do the under dash stuff.

Should (god willing and the creek don't rise) finish this gig tomorrow and have booty kickin brakes. I'll let ya know

Chris McDonald told me once that the hardest thing he had to do when building his car was installing the Clevis pin under the dash.That kind of scared me into putting off my PB conversion until later on.Although it cant be a whole lot worse that installing the clutch quadrant in my old 5.0 Mustang.

A real mechanic.....

Is joining me tomorrow. Hope it helps
:upthumbs

Actually none, was a good night, just windy and rainy

Thats good to hear.I drive a truck for UPS and travel I-4 frequently(thankfully not last night).A couple of our drivers said they went through some bad stuff around Orlando last night.Good luck with your brakes tomorrow.

I know what you are talking about with the booster installation! I put a chrome booster and master cyl on mine and even with the complete interior, dash and all out and the steering column loose, I think my neighbors a half mile away could hear me cussin. I had to get a rag to wipe up the blood from cuts on my hands and bald head. I looked like I'd been in a fight. :L I'm 6'2", 200 lbs and don't fit under the dash real well. I think it took me a couple of hours, but it was worth it, looks great. :D

I do understand...

Maybe the saving grace on mine was the seats are out for new uphoulstry and I'm not 6' or 200 lbs. Project worked out ok just a couple of small glitches. Vac hose was 2" too short and the booster rod was a bit short too. Overcame the small stuff and now have power brakes. Maybe, all total, 6 or 7 hours, not bad for a parts changer 'cause I'm no mechanic.

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom