Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Convertable Top

Corvette
1981Dark Blue Metallic & 2004 conv. magnetic red
In a catalog saw where an air type pillow could be used when the top is down to help prevent damage to the rear window so it does not crease. Has anyone had a problem with this happening?

Chuck

I've not had any problems with creasing.

Quite frankly, I'm having a difficult time envisioning how the product you're describing would be of any real benefit. The rear window on a C5 convertible is made of glass, so if it creases, it's going to break. I'm certain the engineers at GM took that into account when designing the roof structure so that it would support and protect the glass when folded. If anything, I'm thinking that using such a third-party product -- even something as presumably soft as a 'pillow' and depending on the placement -- could actually induce unwanted stress on the window pane, causing it to fracture.

Personally, I'd save your money and leave well-enough alone.

I'm with Tim on this one Chuck. Unless I'm missing something, I can't envision the need for or benefit from the product you mentioned. Since I live in the Deep South, I put the top down on my convertible year-round and the only precaution I take is to ensure there's nothing too large under it.
:wJane Ann

OK OK I get the bone head award, I don't type as fast as I think. Would this pillow take away the possibility of damage where the rear window is seamed to the top? This is the 1st conv. I have ever owned and just want to know more about the do's and don'ts to protect the top.

I appreciate your patience with my dumb questions.

Chuck

OK OK I get the bone head award, I don't type as fast as I think. Would this pillow take away the possibility of damage where the rear window is seamed to the top? This is the 1st conv. I have ever owned and just want to know more about the do's and don'ts to protect the top.

I appreciate your patience with my dumb questions.

Not dumb questions at all. Questions are how we all learn..! :thumb And there are a lot of useless products out there, so it's good to check with others for opinions and recommendations!

Without seeing the placement of this pillow thing, it's difficult for me to say whether it will prevent damage, cause damage, or just siphon money out of your wallet without really doing anything more than giving you a 'warm, fuzzy' feeling that you did something to protect your convertible top/rear window...Can you provide a link to the vendor's product...?

I'm thinking that if the 'pillow' is intended to be sandwiched between the window and the folded top material, it could potentially cause more harm than prevent it (through the introduction of an unwanted stress point, where something relatively thicker than the available gap is pressing on a point that wasn't designed to be pressed on). I don't know about your top, but mine fits pretty tightly inside the storage cavity when I put it down. If the 'pillow' is laid underneath the window (between the rear deck and the bottom of the folded top), I can't see how that would really be any more protective/supportive (from a damage-prevention standpoint) than the existing frame of the folded top...? And if you really needed something soft and supportive there, you could probably just use a standard bed pillow and save yourself the 'Corvette tax...' ;)

Again, the folding top on the C5 convertible is a pretty ingenious contraption. I do seem to recall reading about some folks here on the forum having their rear windows come loose from the top material (you'll have to search for the thread), but they were easily repaired. However, I did not get the impression from that thread that anyone thought the repair could have been avoided through the use of some kind of additional protection/support. But stranger things have happened...

Just a gimmick. Kind of like that partition that's supposed to help with the cooling and heating while also keeping the road noise lower. Just don't ask me how I know about the partition.:ugh

I purchased the pillow for my 1991 convertible and it worked fine. GM replaced the plastic window for the later C4s and my 1994 convertible had a glass rear window. Gave the pillow to a friend who has a 1967 convertible and he uses it whenever his top is down. They work great for the plastic rear windows. Never needed one for the glass windows on my C4 or the C6.
Barrett

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom