Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Convertible Question???????

kingman

Corvette
2002 Torch Red Coupe
Before l ask the question, please be kind, it may be a really dumb one. Here Goes!

Does the C5 have an automatic convertible top and if they do, when did it come out ? (the year).

Somebody mentioned tonight while l was out for diner that his freind had an automatic converible top on his vette. The person was talking to his bride at the next table.

Where have l been????????????

The C-5 convertible top is manual, kingman. You've been the same place as the rest of us. :)

:w
Patti

kingman said:
[B
Does the C5 have an automatic convertible top and if they do, when did it come out ? (the year). Where have l been????????????
[/B]

Thanks

After over hearing that conversation l thought maybe l was in the Twilight Zone.

But it's a great idea even if it adds another 50 lbs.

I find the manual top so easy to raise and lower. I really don't think I add that as an option if offered. I remember the dealer saying when I purchased my car that I would be able in no time to put the top in 30 secs in a driving rainstorm. Frankly, I've done it in 10 seconds last summer, when I got caught in a thunderstorm.

Just one man's opinion

I agree with Tom.

I was a little disappointed when I first heard that the convertible top was manual, but I have found that the top is very easy to raise & lower. If motivated, ten seconds is easily obtainable. If we are taking a poll, keep the top the way it is.

The only modification I would suggest is to be able to raise both windows simultaneously (but that is really being picky).

Very easy, The only problem is when I take it down in the garage when the snow is outside and the wife wants to know what i"m doing setting in the car with the top down going zoom, zoom:)

convertible top

I was in the dark when my wife and went to buy our first vette. 98 triple black. I had the same question. The dealer showed us the procedure and I thought it was neat. A lot less mechanical failure possible.

Manual top

A while back I read in a consumer magazine the writer complaining about the manual convertible top. What a dork. I may be wrong but I don't think Corvette has ever had an electric convertible top.:w :pat

Most convertible owners would not wish to loose stowage space which might be taken up if the top was powered. Like everyone else here I find it absolutely no problem to raise or lower.

If you fit a Window Valet you can raise both windows at once with three clicks on the Key Fob 'Lock' button, one press on the 'Unlock' button will give you access to the car with the windows raised.

When I purchased my Vette it was a top down day until when 'trapped' on a motorway it started to rain. I had to drive quite some way in the light to medium rainfall until there was an exit and hence the opportunity to safely raise the top. The rain water eventually entered the cockpit not through the open top but by the air pressure lifting the water on the side windows until it spilled over the top of the side glass and ran down the inside onto the door control console. Fortunately these are reasonably well water proofed and no damage was done. There was no water ingress at all for the first seven or so miles.

HI there,
As was explained here, the reason for no power top was weight.
However, the weight gain was more than 300lbs, for a reliable one.
Corvette engineering abandon this idea, as also the storage space would have been adversely affected.
Allthebest, c4c5:hb

kingman,

You did not state the the "overheard" conversation was about the C5.

In the early 60's, the power convertible top was an option for a year or so on the Corvette.

But the storage area is minimal anyway! With the top down almost none. I guess that's why I have a Suburban also.;LOL

manual 'vert.

I can do the top down in 10 seconds sitting in the drivers seat. A bit longer going up.

I once got stopped by another vette. We both had our tops up and I retracted mine and we again met at the next lights. He asked me to put over and show him how I did it. (he actually begged me.) And yes, I showed him how.

Manual top is good, less to breakdown.

Hahaha.

-Bill

tops down.

Smook

10 seconds while sitting down. That's great, :cool Please tell us all how you do that. Are you double jointed?

Tom

tops down boys and girls...

vettedoc said:
But the storage area is minimal anyway! With the top down almost none. I guess that's why I have a Suburban also.;LOL

Well, you must have long arms. But here it goes...

btw this is on a 2002 'vert.

front latches open, left arm up on the front of the top, right arm back lifting the rear of the top, body latch with right. right push back at the same time right pushing forward, then drop top with left followed by locking body latch with right. (always in a quick moving flow)

Alll done.

btw corvette is not moving. stand-still position. (at lights etc.)

top back up, a bit different.

Smook:
Thanks, I'm going out the garage and practice. :BOW
Tom

..i'll come over to the dark side and show you.

yeah.

don't do it in the rain!

hehe.

B.

POwer tops
I had a friend who owned the last series of Mercedes Benz SL 500.
He went to put his top down and one of the micro-switches failed and the top did $15,000.00 damage to itself and the car and it was just out of warrranty.
I think I can handle the non power corvette top.
If you want a power top and an LS1 get a camaro or wait for the cadillac.
:grinshot

convertible top vs. rain

I just bought a new 2003 roadster, i.e. convertible 6 speed. I've never owned a convertible so what should I know when it rains on my Vette?

Thanks!

;shrug

vettedoc said:

The C5 convertibles have a whole lot of room...even with the top down!! Not so with the C4's!!

Elaine

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom