Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Convertible trunk lid won't fully open.

bryan_p

Corvette
2006 Black convertible
I bought my 06 convertible last September and from the start, the trunk lid would not open wide enough for me to slid my fingers underneath. Some cooler mornings I have had to reclose and pop the lid several times before I could pry it open. At first I thought I could live with it but now I find it really annoying. Why GM can't design a stupid trunk lid to open properly is beyond me!!

So, I fiddled with the alignment of the catch and it seemed to get a little better. Then I brought it to the dealer and they lubricated the crap out of the latch and lid hinge mechanism and adjusted the latch. They said that the lid now consistently opened the required 1.5 inches every time. I picked up my keys, walked to the car, pressed the trunk release on the remote and the lid barely opened! It was worse than when I brought it in.

So, the dealer service guy wants me to bring it in again so that he can consult with the shop foreman, yadda, yadda, yadda...

Has anyone out there had their latch replaced by GM? Is there some kind of precedent (TSB) which I can reference to the service guy for replacing the faulty latch with a new one. I have heard that the new latches have a stronger push-up spring.

Thanks,
B.

Hi there,
There is no TSB and yes, the revised latch does come with a stronger spring.
I believe the spring is either blue or brown.
Allthebest, c4c5

Well I got my new latch with the stronger spring after my third visit to the dealer. The trunk pops up alright but now I have to SLAM the stupid trunk to shut it. I also noticed that it popped up on its own while I was shopping in a hardware store. Be careful what you wish for. Sigh...

I think I'll tinker with the catch location. The latched trunk seems to be sitting a bit below the rear bodywork.

Well I got my new latch with the stronger spring after my third visit to the dealer. The trunk pops up alright but now I have to SLAM the stupid trunk to shut it. I also noticed that it popped up on its own while I was shopping in a hardware store. Be careful what you wish for. Sigh...

I think I'll tinker with the catch location. The latched trunk seems to be sitting a bit below the rear bodywork.

I got up the courage to remove the trunk liner panel over the latch. Not a big deal at all. I had pictured some kind of spiral clock-like spring built into the latch which was used to push up the lid. Instead I found this big honkin trampoline spring mounted external to the latch. It looks like the dealer replaced the spring with a higher-tension yellow one. I don't know why they put up such a big fuss over repairing this - a 2 dollar part and 10 minutes of labour.

Anyways, I loosened the three latch mounting screws and there was enough clearance in the mounting holes to allow me to raise the latch by a thirty-second of an inch. That was all it took to make it work. It takes a bit of getting used to (compared to my Maxima trunk which closes under its own weight) but a firm lower-case slam closes it every time. I'm a happy guy. They also replaced the silly ashtray which kept popping open and now I have reached the end of my warranty.

B.

my fix

same problem here...I noticed the latch on the lid was off to the right a little, so I got my torx, loosened it and slid it to the left.....now my lid opens every time

try adjusting the latch on the trunk lid left or right

same problem here...I noticed the latch on the lid was off to the right a little, so I got my torx, loosened it and slid it to the left.....now my lid opens every time

try adjusting the latch on the trunk lid left or right

Initially that's what I did. I noticed wear marks on the lid's catch where it was rubbing on the inside of the latch so I moved it down and to the left. This improved things but still the trunk would only open 0.5". I talked with my service guy and apparently they changed the entire latch (although I have no way of verifying that) when all they needed to change was the push-up spring. The spring tension is definitely greater (or the push-up lever is longer?). It's much more difficult to depress the push-up lever with my thumb. When released, the trunk actually pops up and back down again! The opening is a full 1.5" now.

B.

My vette is an '07 convertible. This fix worked for me and was insanely easy. The trunk lid seal gets tacky over time and needs to be cleaned and lubed with silicone lubricant. Clean the seal with some soapy water, rinse, and dry. Then, simply spray a generous amount on the trunk seal and "wallah", trunk opens like it should. Repeat as often as needed. I used the type designed to waterproof tents and you can get it at Walmart, cheap. One can will last the rest of the cars life. Hope this helps.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom