Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Converting 1980 to hatch glass

J

jimdaug

I have seen a couple of 1981 vettes that have had the original solid rear glass replaced with the hatch system from a 1982. Does anyone have any information on how hard this is and what parts I need. I can do the work myself, I just need to know what to get. Thanks for any information.

jimdaug@wt.net

I've looked to do this myself for a few years now. It's not something that is sold through the normal routes (Ecklers, MAD, etc). I think you have to get lucky and find it in a junk yard.

Safe to say you're a day late and a dollar short on this one. The kits used to be all over the place many moons ago. There was even one that extended beyond the glass so that not just the glass lifted but also the rear deck area (with some cutting of course). It was a supply and demand thing, I'm sure - once C3's started getting older, less folks were customizing. Something like that will require some heavy duty searching at places like Carlisle or Bloomington.

BTW, one of our illustrious members - Nut - has the kit on his 81 but it was that way when he got the car I believe.

Good luck in your search!

Few options

Jim,

You have two options here. First some history. C&C (Cars and Concepts) made all the hatches for the '82CE cars. They sold them to GM and GM installed them in the CE models only. They also made them for sale to the general public. However, C&C has been out of business for over 10 years now. My '81 had the C&C kit installed in late '81 before the first owner bought it. (I'm the second owner). I know of only a handful of 78-82 C3's with this kit. So, here are your options:

1. Find a C&C kit. Virtually impossible, But........ one did come up for sale on eBay last year. A C&C distributor found a complete kit in an old warehouse. Never installed, no instructions or manuals and he got close to $3K for it.

2. Salvage yard. I met a guy at the NCM in Bowling Green last summer with a regular 1982 that had the hatch. He bought one from a salvage yard and had a professional body shop guy install it. Wouldn't say what he paid, but my guess is it wasn't cheap not counting the install cost.

With the proper tools and time I suppose you could do it yourself. They are tricky to keep from leaking and just as tricky to keep adjusted to open easily. I am dreading the day the release cable breaks. I have had virtually no luck in scrounging misc. parts at Carlisle and other meets for the kit.

Good luck in your search................... Nut

Btw...... it is a sweet option to have!! :D

Nut,
I can see the Blue-Claws just stuffed in there:L

Sorry to get off topic:SLAP

Carlo

Not in my car!!! I won't even let the Jack Russell in her. They will be coming by FedEx. :D We may have to sneak off somewhere to eat them. I can't afford to feed the entire CAC clan that will end up at the Ramada. Leaving for Melbourne this afternoon.

Later.......... Nut

Jim.... sorrry about the diversion of topic with Carlo and myself. If you need for info on the hatch, send me a private message.

........ Nut

John,

The whole assembly is surprisingly sturdy. The hinges at the rear pillar are huge and hold the glass quiet firmly. The pistons, even after 21 years still hold the glass up without any problem. I've actually run down the road with the glass open (partially) and wasn't worried about the glass flexing. The only thing that has become "fragile" is the opening T-handle pull. I am somewhat worried the cable is starting to stretch. When the glass is shut and locked it is very secure. Still, I use it less frequently of late. The rear antenna makes it a little tricky to load/unload things from the rear compartment and you have to be VERY careful to watch anyone helping you. A belt buckle and even a zipper can easily rub the rear quarter panels and gouge the paint just by leaning over.

Later................. Nut

I have the hatch on my CE and I love it. One problem though. After 20 years of opening/closing, the hinges tend to get out of wack. This then leads to water leaks and being a PITA to open sometimes.:cry

Dukeman,

I cured the leaks by injecting silicone RTV under the rear seals where they were leaking. This thickened up the seal at that spot. If done carefully this should help solve the leak problem and not create another leak somewhere else. My hinges are OK, but I do from time to time have to adjust the depth of the two locking studs. And let's not forget the T-bar opening handle. I'm dreading the cable finally giving out. I've never seen a replacement anywhere, even at Carlisle.

............ Nut

Too bad :-(

Thanks for all of the wonderful info, but it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to do it. My parents have kind of been helping me pay for the interior restoration said "no!!". And I can't afford a $3000 project on my own right now. So thanks again and maybe sometime in the future I will be able to do it.

Jim,

A salvage yard is still your best choice. Keep checking around, you may luck out and find one. It happens. Best of luck with your restoration and don't hesitate to ask for help. There's a huge amount of knowledge with the folks that hang out here.

Regards........... Nut

I think that the C4's parts can be custumized to work on the C3. After all it's not too many parts. I've seen guys with C4 suspensions in C3's so why can't a set of hinges and holding shoks be adapted to it.
Just my .02

Nut; Did you ever try Contemporary Corvettes in Bristol,PA for that cable.Those guys have just about anything.That might be a goodplace to get a spare.

Dave

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom