Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cool Garage Door Opener

That thing is WAY cool. :J Where can you get one? Online I would guess.

Buster

Cool system. Too bad it doesn't work on 16' doors.

It can be ordered from Lowes, but they are overpriced. The web site above has the best price I found and there's a $40 rebate on each.

KOPBET, I had 16' doors at the last place I worked, and they has a electric drive system for that size also. Got to check the commercial vendors.

KOPBET said:
Cool system. Too bad it doesn't work on 16' doors.

:confused Are you refering to a 16' WIDE door? The only reference I see to door diminsions is that it will only work on doors that are 8' or less in HEIGHT?

Anyway, I'll let you all know how well/if it works on a non-Wayne Dalton, 7 feet tall, 16 feet wide door. I bought one of these from the local Menards, but have yet to install it. My new garage door also came from there, and the very helpful salesperson there assured me that it work on my torsion spring door, manufactured by Ideal, or I could return it.

Installed the openers this weekend. 20 Minutes per door!!. These are the easiest door openers I have ever done. They operate very well. Quiet too.
Price ended up being $250 per door (including $40 rebate). That includes 2 remotes, wall mounted control panel, overhead light, and outside keypad.

This system will work on any torsion tube door regardless of width. The only restricion is height. Doors can not be any taller than 8 feet. This has to do with the microprocessor that calculates the door's upper & lower limits. It can only calculate up to 8 feet total.

I spoke with my garage door guy this weekend about installing a pair of these on a job......here's his reply:

The Wayne Dalton I-drive won't work on your job for 2 reasons.

#1 the I-drive is not compatible w/ high lift or lift clearance track (only standard lift and low headroom tracks).

#2 the product has failed miserably and will probably be off the market soon. Loews home centers has pulled the product from their shelves. We have sold and installed eight I-drive operators in the recent past and have had nothing but problems.

Its too bad......I was really looking forward to using these on some of my projects. I still haven't seen any negative press yet online. Can anyone confirm if Lowes has stopped selling this product? SD

#1. If your door is going to travel more than 8 feet due to the lengthened tracks, then your guy is correct. If the door is NOT going to travel more than 8 feet with the extended tracks, I think you can still make it work. The limiting factor on this door opener is the total lift (8 ft), not the track height.

#2. I called Lowes when I was first looking for this drive. All the lowes stores in my area did not have them on the shelf, but I could order one. The price was about $100 more than where I purchased mine. Never had anyone say there were problems with these units.

The i-Drives are warranteed for 5 years for Parts & Labor and have a lifetime warrantee on the motor. That's a better warrantee than most door openers out there.

Not that I'm plugging these openers. I just did a couple of months of research before buying these.

Hi SubFixer,

I know its about 3 months since you put your new openers up. I also want to install these in my new garage, I am just wondering on how they are holding up? I really like the look of them, but have you had any problems with them?

Thanks,
Jimmy

Door openers are working great. I don't worry about them at all. Both the wife and I use them daily to get the cars in and out. Even with the snow, ice and sub-zero weather they have performed flawlessly.

The only problem I've had is that the "Homelink" buttons in the wife's Monte Carlo won't activate the doors. I haven't been able to program the buttons in her car to operate the doors. I'm sure I'm just doing something wrong, but I haven't fooled around with it since she's got the remote and it works fine as is. Maybe when the weather warms up I'll try again. Otherwise, trouble free.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom