Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! coolant leak

Rod1945

Corvette
2008ZO6
I have a 2008ZO6,it has a coolant leak which seems internal.I have had everything checked,coolant tank and cap have good pressure,new water pump,heater core dry,new intake gaskets,spark plugs clean,oil clean.Still losing a gallon of coolant every two weeks.Car runs great,except for the leak.Any ideas?

Gulp... Any smoke out of the rear end, especially after initial start up? Open the coolant res while the car is running and look for bubbles. Could be a blown head gasket and coolant is leaking into your cylinder head(s). If you see bubbles in the res, while running that is a confirmation.
Did you overheat recently or around the time of coolant disappearing?

I have a 2008ZO6,it has a coolant leak which seems internal.I have had everything checked,coolant tank and cap have good pressure,new water pump,heater core dry,new intake gaskets,spark plugs clean,oil clean.Still losing a gallon of coolant every two weeks.Car runs great,except for the leak.Any ideas?

How many miles in those 2 weeks? That is a lot of coolant to lose.

No coolant on the ground or on the engine? If it hasn't been on a hoist, do it and inspect closely. If you see anything, follow it to the top of the fluid leak.

If you think it is internal, have a cylinder leak down performed with the radiator cap off and water to the top of the neck and look for any bubbles on each cylinder.

OMG
A gallon of coolant every two weeks is a freakin' ton of coolant.

If there are no signs of combustion gases in the coolant and there are no external leaks, if there are no symptoms of a head gasket leak from cooling system to a cylinder than you likely have a cracked or porous head.

Pull the spark plugs, if you have one which looks much cleaner than the others, that might be a leaking cylinder. As "LLC5" suggests a leakage test or even an ordinary compression test might help the diagnostic process.

Hey did you end up find out what happened & get it fixed? Im on the same boat right now i just bought a 09z06 2 mo ago with 34k miles now @38k & its been saying low coolant so took it in to a local vette shop and they couldnt find any leaks so the guy told me its leaking into the heads but im taking it this weeknds to American heritage they worked on the heads before paid by the prev owner so im wondering if they made a mistake when redoing the heads ?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom