Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

coolant passage holes and seal to gasket joints

mdazzo

Corvette
1979 #19-black
this is new to me sorry that i might be asking stupid questions but i need to know the correct answer.
when replacing the intake manifold gasket the manual calls for the coolant passage holes to be sealed with rtv sealant.i need to know which openings are the water passage,are they the two end openings?or are they the two ends and the one in the middle,,i am totally confused on this

and then my last question-the end seals call for a bead of rtv,am i going under neath the gasket on the ends of the tabs or am i going with the bead onto the gasket end tab...it just is not clear to me on both questions...again sorry for the stupid questions but i do not want to do the job twice,,,so better to ask,,,thank you matt

The coolant passages (4) are at the extreme four corners.

Put the side gaskets on first, then run the RTV beads across the front and rear block surfaces and on top of the tab on the side gaskets for about 1/4"; make sure the front and rear seal surfaces on both the block AND the bottom of the manifold are absolutely clean (think lacquer thinner or brake cleaner) before applying the RTV.
:beer

The coolant passages will be really cruddy looking compared to the intake ports too, possibly with some pitting on the surface areas that should be smoothed out before you reassemble the new gaskets on. This is the reason for the film of extra sealant on the coolant passages.

the first leg of the project is completed,i did manage to remove all of the rounded bolts...which i was very happy about i used the irwin strip bolt sockets...they where excellent... they never slipped.....my plans are during re assembly not to reinstall the lift brackets.this way i can use the same new size bolts all around.....

engine now labors to start

so the intake is now installed.the only problem that i have is the engine labors
a little on starting...the vacuum is around 20.i checked the intake for leaks
with carb cleaner as well as oil on the complete seam...nothing is being sucked in...no change in idle.i just dont understand why this is happening now but not before...i had the timing checked that is right on.the car does have what i think
and everyone who has looked at the car a very mild cam....i wish i knew what the cam is but i dont. firing order is correct,the only other change that i installed
is a twist switch neg battery on off switch..maybe not enough current going thru the small bolt...could this be the problem....or should i pull the intake and install again....just dont see a reason to do this....any suggestions....

thank you in advance!!!

350 engine

september 12,2005

Hey Matt,

I have heard of problems like that associated with the twist lock power cut off switches. It's easy enough to take it off to find out. That would be my guess. Did you swap a new cam in it, or was it already there?

mdazzo said:
so the intake is now installed.the only problem that i have is the engine labors a little on starting...any suggestions
Some of the intake bolt holes are in line with side of a pushrod. It is possible that one or more of the intake bolts is binding on one or more pushrods ... preventing pushrod from opening/closing valve properly. This happens because sometimes a new intake is thinner or new bolts are longer or a washer was dropped or a lift bracket was eliminated etc. To check this, simply pull both valve covers and verify you can roll each pushrod between your finger & thumb.
JACK:gap

all the same

thank you for the look into's
the cam is the same,the intake in the same stock unit that was on before,
i reinstalled the lift brackets,and all the bolts are the same stock lenght...
i am going to try to remove the new shut off switch..first if that is not the problem,then i will look in on the push rods but i dont really feel this is the problem...but then again who knows....

thank you...

mdazzo said:
so the intake is now installed.the only problem that i have is the engine labors
....any suggestions....

thank you in advance!!!

350 engine

september 12,2005

The two inside pair of bolts on both sides of the intake must only be 1 1/4" in length...any longer and they will hit a pushrod.

LannyL81

they are the correct length

LannyL81 said:
The two inside pair of bolts on both sides of the intake must only be 1 1/4" in length...any longer and they will hit a pushrod.

LannyL81

Lannyl81
Thank you for the heads up...i want you to know the bolts are the correct length. I think i am going to try hooking up the neg side of the battery direct
no shut off....maybe i need to move the distrib over one gear tooth..even if the timing is correct...maybe it is because of the mild cam the timing should not be set at factory all i know is a get a slight wine noise then it labors a liitle then starts...just driven me crazy....thanks

Oh, the whine noise means low current to the starter. Pull the battery switch, I bet that's it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom