Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Coolant temp too low?

djsroknrol

Corvette
1984 L83/MD8 red coupe
Sorry folks for the strange question after all this time on the forum, but yesterday I installed the low coolant level sensor to finally get my coolant temp gauge working again and it only got to 160 for a high and 147 for a low...this seems to be too low a temperature to me.

It might have a 160 stat installed (I'm presuming that's the case as I haven't checked it yet) and the fan kicks in with the key on (not something I modded)

Do you think that it might be running too low and what, if any, problems might I encounter running it like that or should I go get the higher temp stat?

Proper diagnosis may require you know the thermostat opening temp.

You say when you key-on engine off the fan comes on...is the check engine light on when the engine is running? If not, does the check engine light come on during bulb check?

Have you verified your coolant temperature reading with a known-good gauge or an IR "temp gun"?

Proper diagnosis may require you know the thermostat opening temp.

You say when you key-on engine off the fan comes on...is the check engine light on when the engine is running? If not, does the check engine light come on during bulb check?

Have you verified your coolant temperature reading with a known-good gauge or an IR "temp gun"?

I can't pop the stat to check the temp stamp until this weekend, but I had intended to do just that. My buddy has a laser temp gun and I'm going to check that as well.

The fan comes on with key "on" and engine not running.

Sorry folks for the strange question after all this time on the forum, but yesterday I installed the low coolant level sensor to finally get my coolant temp gauge working again and it only got to 160 for a high and 147 for a low...this seems to be too low a temperature to me.

It might have a 160 stat installed (I'm presuming that's the case as I haven't checked it yet) and the fan kicks in with the key on (not something I modded)

Do you think that it might be running too low and what, if any, problems might I encounter running it like that or should I go get the higher temp stat?

Yep..thats too low.

Thing about a 160 stat...it usually won;t stay at 160 once the ambient temps get over 80. The 160 will open and allow circulation earlier but the fans and speed are what moves air for heat exchange.

For the motor to work right, for the oil to be able to burn off moisture, and for emissions you need to be around 190. The 226-8 where the stock fans are supposed to start is a little unreasonable in the real world. Thats leaves so little margin for error that people jump thru hoops to defeat that and run cooler. Unfortunately these are not old school engines and mngt systems, and cooler is not really better. The goal would be stable, around 190-200 and being where you are, you are gonna see some sky hi temps by the time July gets here..
When I had mine "rigged" with a fan switch or the relay jumped and a 160, it ran at 163 in the winter, and 220+ in the summer. All that rigging does more harm than good. The wide temp swings are not good for the motor..

IF you need to manage the temps better for the extreme climate of the dessert, you have to increase cooling efficiency with a bigger better radiator. Many people here have never had to endure rush hour traffic in Phx in August...idling with the a/c with 117 (or more) ambient temps...road surface temps wayyyyy over that.
A good reason to upgrade the cooling system !

There is also the trash collection that will block airflow, but you obviously dont have that issue right now.
I'd say confirm the temp, find out what the stat is and see if there is some creative electrical engineering on the fan relay. Like a jumper wire.
It really should be running hotter than 160..

Has the cooling fan operation been this way since owning the car? I only ask because I know the trouble you have been through.

Getting this working correctly would be my first step to getting the motor to run normal operating temperatures. Even with your fans on, and a 160 degree T-stat, I would think your coolant temps would be higher.

I agree with Boomdriver that the temp is to low. Since this engine was just rebuilt and you found loose rockers when you got it home I would guess the re builder did some more of his imaganeering by putting in a 160 stat. Check and see that the oil cooler is hooked up and go back to the stock thermostat. If you want to help the engine with running too hot change the oil and make sure it is 100% synthetic that you put back into it. Not only will it help the engine but it is a better oil at the higher temperatures these cars run at and will not brake down like dino oil does. If my memory is serving me right when GM introduced the LT1 into the corvette they dropped the oil cooler because they specified the Mobil 1 oil. What that tells me is that they were able to get the engine to run at the same temp as the previous cars with an oil cooler. So it would seem that the synthetic oil was able to reduce the oil temp as effectively as an oil cooler. Finally the ecm monitors the water temp at the water pump and uses that temp to adjust the parameters for the fuel, and the loop it runs in etc.

Thanks Boom....that's the info I was looking for. So no matter what, I need to go back to the 195 stat....the 180 wouldn't be much help in this case.

Vetteboy, the fan was working like that when I got it and I didn't think anything of it until this thread.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom