Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Coolent for Aluminum radiator

Marv02

Corvette
1986 C-4 Corvette
I just Ordered a New 3 core alumiunum radiator just woulding what is the coolant I should be useing with it.

I did some reading on this subject and just about everything I read dont tell you much they go in circles.

I just had to tear down my old 355 with 3000 miles on it and I did notice my new Aluminum heads aready starting to show signs of corrosion in the water jackets.

I asked the Auto parts guys what to use for coolant once again they were not much help.

I dont want to be replacing the radiator again in a couple years or the heads due to using the wrong coolant.

I would use good ol' green, considering it is a 86, I assume your block and so forth is from that era as well. Just change it every 2 years or so and leave it be. :thumb

Corrosion is why they make DEXCOOL. :thumb

I lost a head from green failure many yrs ago; It turns acidic after a certain time/number of hot-cold cycles. DEX does not...for at least 5 yrs.
Green is 1 yr. My engine came with green, also came with plain 5-30 wt oil too....thats long gone and replaced by Mobile-1 and the green went away after I saw what aluminum looks like when acid has been run thru the water passages...and eats into a combustion chamber.

I dont have the stock block in the car it a 87 or newer 4 bolt main Truck roller block with after market Aluminum Heads.

I would use good ol' green, considering it is a 86, I assume your block and so forth is from that era as well. Just change it every 2 years or so and leave it be. :thumb

I have a BeCool radiator that is 12 years old in my '66. I have always used the green stuff and add a bottle of Royal Purple ICE to it. Mine looks brand new on the inside.

no matter what anti freeze you use make sure you use distilled water not tap water

I've heard conflicting reports, but the guys at DeWitt's told me to use distilled water.
I guess they could be lying so that I'd use 'bad water', rot everything, and have to buy more radiators.
It's all part of an elaborate money-making scheme.
Not really.

As for Dexcool, that stuff was garbage. It had a habit of corroding gaskets, causing all kinds of leaks, and destroying parts.
GM is still paying settlements over that stuff. Just google dexcool and you get several pages about lawsuits, payouts, problems, etc.

If you want more, google 'dexcool lawsuits.'

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom