Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cooling issues

Best Vette Yet

Corvette
2003 Medium Spiral Grey
I have a 2003 C5 Coupe with 42,000 miles on the clock. I am experiencing cooling issues. Normal freeway driving gives me 195 degrees. If I go into the mountains where the engine is working fairly hard or traveling at suburban speeds (30 - 45mph) the temp gauge climbs to as high as 235 degrees (one time only before I shut the motor down). I have checked my codes but the only code I have is 0101 which is a MAF code. I am not sure if my fans are running correctly. Is there a way to check this? I leave my aircon running to try and keep the cooling fans running. The aircon blows cold but the motor still warms up. Any ideas? Waterpump...perhaps? :confused

BTW, the 2005 C6 vette with the electrical issues has been running flawlessly...thank you for your assistance in solving those problems.

A lot of C5 owners find some surprises when they check in the front area of the radiator. Since C5's are bottom breathers they tend to suck up strange things and lodge them in strange places. Worth a check!

Those temps are within the normal range. These cars run hotter due to emission standards from the factory. Just make sure you're fans kick on and you don't have debris clogging the radiator, as was stated before.

I had a SoCal friend who just stopped by a tuners shops and had them reset the fans to come on sooner. Cheap!

A lot of C5 owners find some surprises when they check in the front area of the radiator. Since C5's are bottom breathers they tend to suck up strange things and lodge them in strange places. Worth a check!

Great advice from leftyvette, I was under mine, cleaning things, this past weekend and I found a whole bunch of tumble weed branches, tucked way up inside near the top end.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom